New Default Workspace proposal

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine

Should this be the new Default Workspace?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Insgesamt abgegebene Stimmen: 12

Juan
Mitglied

New Default Workspace proposal

Beitrag von Juan »

Hi all,

I want to share my proposal for the new default workspace when a new clean installation (for example new users) open PL for first time.
:!: Please vote/opine so then there are no regrets later. :!:
Proposal.jpg
Cheers,
Juan
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
PhilM
Mitglied

Re: New Default Workspace proposal

Beitrag von PhilM »

Juan hat geschrieben: Sa 18 Apr 2020 09:39 Hi all,

I want to share my proposal for the new default workspace when a new clean installation (for example new users) open PL for first time.
:!: Please vote/opine so then there are no regrets later. :!:
Proposal.jpg

Cheers,
Juan
Thanks for the work done.
It's a good approach.
I have a hard time to figure out what the panels are because of the low resolution of your image.

From a marketing point of view, the default clean installation should mimic the PS workspace which is familiar to many.
I can't speak about that, cause I do not have a PS installed. Since I acquired Photoline years ago, I don't use PS anymore.

Thanks for your contribution.

Philippe
maxwell
Mitglied

Beitrag von maxwell »

Hi,

Juans proposal agrees quite well with PS. He added the attributes dialog, which is crucial in working with PL. In PS additionally the correction palette is integrated. Thus, I'm only missing the adjustment layer, which corresponds to the correction palette. If he will add the adjustment layer to the layers and channels panels, his proposal is really good.

Cheers

Josef
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 Thanks for the work done.
It's a good approach.
Thank you :D

Just wanted to do something for the new users, not for the seasoned ones that we have built our workspace already. This won't affect anybody's current workspace.
PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 I have a hard time to figure out what the panels are because of the low resolution of your image.
Sorry about that, here is a link for the HIRES https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoMv8bCdXlOds2JTOTh ... e?e=yMlcHc
PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 From a marketing point of view, the default clean installation should mimic the PS workspace which is familiar to many.
I agree, I tried to do it while keeping the PL spirit there.
maxwell hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 12:52 If he will add the adjustment layer to the layers and channels panels, his proposal is really good.
I can add it later, let's see how the voting goes.

Cheers,
Juan
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Juan hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 13:35
PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 Thanks for the work done.
It's a good approach.
Thank you :D

Just wanted to do something for the new users, not for the seasoned ones that we have built our workspace already. This won't affect anybody's current workspace.
PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 I have a hard time to figure out what the panels are because of the low resolution of your image.
Sorry about that, here is a link for the HIRES https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoMv8bCdXlOds2JTOTh ... e?e=yMlcHc
PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 10:00 From a marketing point of view, the default clean installation should mimic the PS workspace which is familiar to many.
I agree, I tried to do it while keeping the PL spirit there.
maxwell hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 12:52 If he will add the adjustment layer to the layers and channels panels, his proposal is really good.
I can add it later, let's see how the voting goes.

Cheers,
Juan
Thanks a lot Juan.
It's a good proposal.

Philippe
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

The main problem - workspace like this will not work on macOS, because on macOS version it is impossible to dock panels in same seamless way as on Windows version.

P.S. i personally prefer dual column setup like this https://i.imgur.com/NOMQLkW.jpg instead of lonely "Photoshopish" tools panel on the far left side.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

PhilM hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 14:52 Thanks a lot Juan.
It's a good proposal.
You are welcome and thanks :)
shijan hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 15:09 The main problem - workspace like this will not work on macOS, because on macOS version it is impossible to dock panels in same seamless way as on Windows version.
I'm sorry I don't have macOS (ditched years ago), so I can't try to replicate my workspace :(
shijan hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 15:09 P.S. i personally prefer dual column setup like this https://i.imgur.com/NOMQLkW.jpg instead of lonely "Photoshopish" tools panel on the far left side.
Of course I understand but as I stated before, the users that have been using PL for some time already have their own workspace (including myself). The only purpose of this proposal is for the new users that download the demo version to test it and not get pushed away (scared) by the current messy default workspace.

Cheers,
Juan
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

PhotoLine is for brave people only :) Current startup layout may look strange for new user, but same time it shows all possible panels in very honest way. User see that panels have collapse/expand option. Next, user just can arrange those panels layout manually. (I described here my personal interaction experience with program when i start to use it few months ago).
From some point of view show all panels at first launch is better than partially hide panels from user.

But it makes sense for developers to include some well arranged Layout Presets to PhotoLine UI presets list. Sort "Basic" "Painting", "Show All Tools" etc... Those Presets also should be somehow tuned for mac and Windows UI logics.

For example here is how i arranged additional Brush settings column after discussion here https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6307 I guess if it was Layout Preset like this, it may save a lot of time for me.
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
gmhofmann
Betatester

Beitrag von gmhofmann »

1. Dark Mode = never
2. The picture is too tiny, I can't read the titles of the tool windows
3. Some users have smaller monitors. Which resolution do you use? Full HD = 1920 x 1080 pixels?
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

FWIW I don't worry that much about the UI. I manage. It's just not a priority for me. Every bit of software I have is different with a different UI so I just adapt. But I do know that if you mention or promote PL on any forum the most common comment/complain about PL is its UI. But I can't contribute because I simply don't know how you can please all the users with the same UI.

bruce
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

shijan hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 16:03 PhotoLine is for brave people only :)
Couldn't agree more :)

Keep in mind that not everybody is a power user, a lot of them are casual users that only need to retouch some family pictures :wink:
gmhofmann hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 17:38 1. Dark Mode = never
Just matter of taste, the layout proposal will not be affected if is dark or light mode.
gmhofmann hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 17:38 2. The picture is too tiny, I can't read the titles of the tool windows
I added a link of a HIRES picture... https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoMv8bCdXlOds2JTOTh ... e?e=yMlcHc
gmhofmann hat geschrieben: So 19 Apr 2020 17:38 3. Some users have smaller monitors. Which resolution do you use? Full HD = 1920 x 1080 pixels?
I will replicate the same workspace on my wife's laptop which is 14"
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Mo 20 Apr 2020 00:29 But I do know that if you mention or promote PL on any forum the most common comment/complain about PL is its UI
Exactly my point, hence this proposal. I'm not making any mock-up or suggesting any UI thing here, this is only a re-arrangement of the panels to display for those new users that install the demo for first time.

Just a remark for everybody, this will NOT affect anybody's current workspace. Even if you install an update/upgrade you will not see this proposed layout.
The idea is not to please everyone, is just to give them (new users) a more familiar layout and making them to feel invited and not being overwhelmed for the amount of options.

Cheers,
Juan
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Just for info: There isn't a single default setup, but several for different screen sizes.

Martin