Request for new layer blend modes

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Herbert123
Mitglied

Request for new layer blend modes

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

A request to expand the range of layer/paint blend modes. In competing software (Krita, Affinity, Fireworks) a couple of quite handy "new" blend modes are available:

- Soft Dodge (Penumbra B in Krita) - really nice for painting in shadows
- Soft Burn
- Negation
- quadratic blend modes: Reflect, Glow, Freeze, Heat
- XOR
- Interpolation
- Inverse Color Dodge
- Inverse Color Burn

Krita offers more than 95 different blend modes (a 'bit' overkill), but the above ones are quite useful to have.

The (Delphi) formulas can be found here: http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/articles/blendmodes/

I think this is low-hanging fruit that can be quickly implemented.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Request for new layer blend modes

Beitrag von shijan »

Isn't it possible in PhotoLine with opacity +-200% combined with existing blend modes? Or those special blend modes are based on something different?
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Some can be emulated with a combination of settings, I think, but several are quite specific. Soft Dodge, for example, uses this formula:

f(a,b) = ½a / (1 - b) (for a + b < 1)
1 - ½(1 - b) / a (else)

I can't see how to replicate that blending in PhotoLine (well, I suppose it could be scripted, perhaps?).

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt if PhotoLine had a couple more blend modes in its arsenal. Thinking of which: it would be awesome to have a blend mode in which the user could input their own formulas, or something.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

I actually only miss just the blend mode "erase". It would just paint to the transparency so the layer underneath gets a hole.
There is the "Remove" blendmode but I don't know what it does.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

JulianZI hat geschrieben: Di 02 Jun 2020 15:57 I actually only miss just the blend mode "erase". It would just paint to the transparency so the layer underneath gets a hole.
Isn't that just a layer mask/clipping layer?
JulianZI hat geschrieben: Di 02 Jun 2020 15:57There is the "Remove" blendmode but I don't know what it does.
"Remove" is mostly used to remove color casts from images. Dehaze uses it for its correction layer.

Martin
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

Isn't that just a layer mask/clipping layer?

It works inverse to the clipping layer - so it removes everything what's covered and leaves the rest.
It is very useful in combination with vector graphics because it does not modify the vector itself and so does not create new borders with effects or outline.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

JulianZI hat geschrieben: Do 04 Jun 2020 14:07 Isn't that just a layer mask/clipping layer?

It works inverse to the clipping layer - so it removes everything what's covered and leaves the rest.
I still don't understand the difference.
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

The text layer in my screen shot has the blend mode "erase". In this example there is no grouping involved.
It simply sets the alpha channel of all underlying drawings (or the drawing in current group) to 0.
screen.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

JulianZI hat geschrieben: Fr 05 Jun 2020 10:01 The text layer in my screen shot has the blend mode "erase". In this example there is no grouping involved.
You can do that by making the text a clipping layer/layer mask and inverting its clipping effect in the Layer Attributes:
InvertClipping.png

Martin
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
JulianZI
Mitglied

Beitrag von JulianZI »

Funktioniert, danke.