A question about LAB

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

A question about LAB

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I have a PLD file. 2 layers. Both RGB. I select the top layer. I make a selection with the Free Lasso. I use Tools/Curves/LAB to adjust that selection.I end up with a layer which is RGB but with a LAB adjustment embedded.
So my question is a 'simple' one. If the layer is still RGB does that mean the adjusted selection is converted back to RGB after the LAB adjustment? Or does that layer always retain the LAB information?

thanks
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Re: A question about LAB

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

My understanding is that an Lab adjustment to an RGB layer or image takes the RGB numbers, converts them to Lab for the adjustment, then converts them back to RGB. You would have to convert the layer to Lab to preserve Lab numbers.
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

AFAIK the adjustment layer retains the LAB mode until you will save the file in the final RGB or CMYK format. If you save the file in the *.PLD format, the adjustment layer will retain its mode.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks. I made the LAB adjustment with a selection. I could have use an Adjustment layer but the Lasso selection was quicker.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

Adjustment layer are just instructions on how to process the image; that's why they are non-destructive.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Mi 19 Aug 2020 00:04 Thanks. I made the LAB adjustment with a selection. I could have use an Adjustment layer but the Lasso selection was quicker.
In fact, it's quite the same. Instead of leaving the Curves dialog with the OK button, click the "Create Adjustment Layer" button:
CreateButton.png
Holding Shift while clicking "Create Adjustment Layer" will group the adjustment layer with the image layer.

Martin
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks Martin.