Remove Brush on a Mac

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Remove Brush on a Mac

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Is there a way to assign a simple keystroke to resize the Remove Brush — one key for smaller, another key for larger?

I do a lot of restoration of scans of old photographs, using the Remove Brush often. I find having to use the default CMD+movement of mouse with left button depressed very tedious. It seems to me having one hand for quick movement and application to damaged areas and the other hand for selection between two keys for resizing the tool would be faster.

Thanks in advance.
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
PhilM
Mitglied

Re: Remove Brush on a Mac

Beitrag von PhilM »

On windows, we have :

Ctrl ArrowUp / Ctrl ArrowDown

or

Shift MouseWheel (that has the advantage that the cursor does not move while the size of the tool is changing)

I don't know what would be the Mac equivalent.

Happy new year.

Phil
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

How would using a tablet go? I use an old Wacom and using 'pressure sensitive' would do the same task.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

PhilM hat geschrieben: Di 05 Jan 2021 21:21 On windows, we have :

Ctrl ArrowUp / Ctrl ArrowDown

or

Shift MouseWheel (that has the advantage that the cursor does not move while the size of the tool is changing)

I don't know what would be the Mac equivalent.

Happy new year.

Phil
Yes, each of those involves two hands as with the CMD+left-down-mouse-movement. However, based on your suggestion, Phil, I tried ArrowUp and ArrowDown. That method works on a Mac. However, on my system the resizing is much too slow. I didn't find any documentation on this but will keep looking. Will try this method on my next project.

Thanks for the Windows information, and you have a happy new year, too.

Bob
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

A dynamic resize would be fantastic: Use any brush (i.e. the Remove Brush, Copy Brush, Painting, etc.) and press the Up or Down key while you paint and the brush size would change while dragging the mouse/pen. Currently you can either paint/remove or change the brush size, but not both actions at the same time, unless you have a graphics tablet which is pressure sensitive. On the other hand: my Wacom doesn't work with the pressure sensitive option in PL, but that's problem of the Wacom driver.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I have a small Wacom connected to my computer and use it for some work in Photoline. It works fine with pressure to change the size of the brush. But not always. Some brushes don't seem to work with pressure sensitivity.
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben: Mi 06 Jan 2021 01:05 ... Phil, I tried ArrowUp and ArrowDown. That method works on a Mac. However, on my system the resizing is much too slow.
I used this method for resizing the brush on a restoration project, but it is impractical. Much too slow.

Would assigning resize of this brush to the mouse wheel or middle movement of the Magic Mouse be a good solution?
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Command + Arrow allow faster size change with larger steps.

By the way,
Shift + Arrow allow to change brush inner size (softness)
Command + Shift + Arrow allow faster size change with larger steps of brush inner size (softness)
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben: Mi 13 Jan 2021 00:37 Would assigning resize of this brush to the mouse wheel or middle movement of the Magic Mouse be a good solution?
Most people are used to scroll or zoom with the mouse wheel/panning of Magic Mouse.

One possibility would be using the right mouse button instead of Command+left mouse button. But this way you would lose the current functionality of the right mouse button in the document window.

Imho the most comfortable and fastest way is Command+left mouse button. When working with PhotoLine, my right hand holds the mouse/pen, while the left one is at the modifier keys, because these are useful and speed-up work in combination with most tools:
- Alt: pick a color or show automatic guides or define source location (depending on tool)
- Cmd+wheel: zoom.
- Cmd+drag: change brush size
- Cmd+Shift+drag: change brush hardness
- Shift: restrict current operation (creates lines with painting tools, switches to proportional scaling with Layer tool, ...)

Martin
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 10:33
OldRadioGuy hat geschrieben: Mi 13 Jan 2021 00:37 Would assigning resize of this brush to the mouse wheel or middle movement of the Magic Mouse be a good solution?
Most people are used to scroll or zoom with the mouse wheel/panning of Magic Mouse.

One possibility would be using the right mouse button instead of Command+left mouse button. But this way you would lose the current functionality of the right mouse button in the document window.

Imho the most comfortable and fastest way is Command+left mouse button. When working with PhotoLine, my right hand holds the mouse/pen, while the left one is at the modifier keys, because these are useful and speed-up work in combination with most tools:
- Alt: pick a color or show automatic guides or define source location (depending on tool)
- Cmd+wheel: zoom.
- Cmd+drag: change brush size
- Cmd+Shift+drag: change brush hardness
- Shift: restrict current operation (creates lines with painting tools, switches to proportional scaling with Layer tool, ...)

Martin
My preference goes to "Shift + Mouse wheel" that controls the Brush/Eraser ... tools. (Shift with the left hand + Mouse on the right hand)
Because, while changing the size of the tool, the mouse pointer does not move on the canvas.
The pointer stay where your image is being processed.

With a "Cmd + Drag" the disadvantage is that the pointer has moved away from the work area.

"Shift + Mouse wheel" is standard Photoline behavior.
I don't know if "Shift + Mouse wheel" is documented in the manual.

Phil
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23 Because, while changing the size of the tool, the mouse pointer does not move on the canvas.
With a "Cmd + Drag" the disadvantage is that the pointer has moved away from the work area.
Yep, i also agree that way better if pointer center always stay in same position after "Cmd + Drag" size adjustment.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

shijan hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:57
PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23 Because, while changing the size of the tool, the mouse pointer does not move on the canvas.
Yep, i also agree that way better if pointer center always stay in same position after "Cmd + Drag" size adjustment.
Mouse wheel has better ergonomic in my opinion.
Two different gesture for two different actions : Drag to move the tool on the canvas ; Wheel to change the size of the tool.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23My preference goes to "Shift + Mouse wheel" that controls the Brush/Eraser ... tools. (Shift with the left hand + Mouse on the right hand)
Because, while changing the size of the tool, the mouse pointer does not move on the canvas.
That's definitely an advantage of this method.
PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23With a "Cmd + Drag" the disadvantage is that the pointer has moved away from the work area.
But it's a more direct way of controlling the brush size which I prefer.
PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23"Shift + Mouse wheel" is standard Photoline behavior.
Chapter 4.5.2.2 "The Active Brush" which is referenced by the painting tool.

Martin
PhilM
Mitglied

Beitrag von PhilM »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 15 Jan 2021 10:23
PhilM hat geschrieben: Do 14 Jan 2021 18:23"Shift + Mouse wheel" is standard Photoline behavior.
Chapter 4.5.2.2 "The Active Brush" which is referenced by the painting tool.

Martin
Chapter 4.5.2.2 Does not tell about "Shift + Mouse wheel" (in the English version of the manual 25/2/2020).
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

PhilM hat geschrieben: Fr 15 Jan 2021 11:13Chapter 4.5.2.2 Does not tell about "Shift + Mouse wheel" (in the English version of the manual 25/2/2020).
I will change that.

Martin