Photoline font rendering bug (wine)

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
ret
Mitglied

Photoline font rendering bug (wine)

Beitrag von ret »

Hi there guys.

I bought the Photoline for use in Linux because it is a very good program and runs very well in wine.

Unfortunately rendering is wrong wtih ttf fonts (in pixel mode) and consequently wrong image export too (jpg, png).

And it's just with photoline, others windows programs in wine are good. In the picture bellow pixel mode are on and off.
bug_font.jpg
bug_font.jpg (28.44 KiB) 2901 mal betrachtet
NOTE: It's not a windows problem. In windows, everything is working fine.

I'm used to wine and tried several solutions but nothing worked.

Does Photoline uses its own anti-alias algorithm? Does Photoline detects wine and uses another algorithm for compatibility? I don't know.

So, may you guys help me testing if it is a "wine bug" or some wrong configuration? I know that photoline is not officially supported on linux, but any help would be very appreciated.

I've attached the google OPEN FONT and the pld file for testing. Note that to perform the test: 100% zoom and pixel mode on are required.

Really thanks in advance for all help.
Dateianhänge
wine_text.pld
(13.59 KiB) Noch nie heruntergeladen
Montserrat.zip
(109 KiB) Noch nie heruntergeladen
russellcottrell
Mitglied
Re: Photoline font rendering bug (wine)

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

I had noticed something like this when converting text to svg images. When examining the vector points, it seemed that a point had been rendered incorrectly, disrupting the outline. I am not much of a vector expert so I can't say much more than that.
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

I am using several google fonts, which I downloaded as Open Type Fonts and installed them in my system. From the past I know that TrueType Fonts lack precision, so maybe you have a chance to download the OTF version of the font and check the output.

I've just tried it with another font (OTF) with macOS and can't reproduce the effect.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 21.42.13.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 21.42.13.jpg (59.02 KiB) 2875 mal betrachtet
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
ret
Mitglied

Beitrag von ret »

Hi there guys, thanks for your replies and tests.

@russellcottrell - It's weird that svg is the only option here that renders the font well Russel. But the problem is: masks are ignored in the exported svg. Any masked image is entirely displayed, without the mask cuts. So I would have to avoid using masks in projects, export it to svg and then convert svg to png or other format.

EDIT: Applying the mask directly over the element or group will work as expected in the exported SVG.
So, exporting to SVG and then optionally converting it to another format is an alternative solution to the correct font rendering.

@der_fotograf - Your idea was very good to Der. I tested it quickly. Unfortunately, the font ended up in another thing. No rendering erros but photoline converted it in another font. Take a look bellow. First word has "pixel mode off" and second "pixel mode on".

Anyway, I have attached the otf version to the thread.
wrong_rendering.jpg
wrong_rendering.jpg (25.43 KiB) 2869 mal betrachtet
That's why I thought photoline uses its own anti-aliasing.

This problem happens with other fonts too. If that happened only with this font, I would replace it, avoid hassles and life goes on.

I hope the developers see this post as well to shed some light.

Thank you guys!
Dateianhänge
montserrat otf.zip
(126.23 KiB) Noch nie heruntergeladen
Zuletzt geändert von ret am Mo 26 Apr 2021 14:31, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32Does Photoline uses its own anti-alias algorithm?
For fonts beyond a certain size PhotoLine, draws text as vector graphic because Windows antialiasing may be ugly.
ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32Does Photoline detects wine and uses another algorithm for compatibility? I don't know.
No, PhotoLine draws text the same on Windows and Wine.
ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32So, may you guys help me testing if it is a "wine bug" or some wrong configuration?
IMHO it's a Wine bug. If you manually convert the text to vector graphics by using "Layer > Convert Layer Type", you will see the same problem.

PhotoLine fetches the font outline from "Windows", and while this is working fine on real Windows, it gets the wrong outline from Wine.

Martin
ret
Mitglied

Beitrag von ret »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Mo 26 Apr 2021 10:03
ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32Does Photoline uses its own anti-alias algorithm?
For fonts beyond a certain size PhotoLine, draws text as vector graphic because Windows antialiasing may be ugly.
I think that is the point Martin. I imagine that wine, unfortunately, is passing some wrong information to photoline inducing photoline to draw text as vector graphic in any font size, avoiding default windows antialiasing.

And it really is photoline custom draw (text as vector draw) because if I manually convert the text to vector graphics ("Layer > Convert Layer Type") I get the same odd results in any font size. Besides, other image editors in the same wine have the correct rendering confirming it.

I know of course it is not a photoline fault, since it was made for windows and its a great software. But, is there any way to disable photoline from draw text as vector graphic and leave it just to the Windows antialiasing?
ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32 Does Photoline detects wine and uses another algorithm for compatibility? I don't know.
No, PhotoLine draws text the same on Windows and Wine.
Thanks!
ret hat geschrieben: So 25 Apr 2021 11:32So, may you guys help me testing if it is a "wine bug" or some wrong configuration?
IMHO it's a Wine bug. If you manually convert the text to vector graphics by using "Layer > Convert Layer Type", you will see the same problem.

PhotoLine fetches the font outline from "Windows", and while this is working fine on real Windows, it gets the wrong outline from Wine.
I think I've commented this in the first sentence.
--

Thanks for your reply, help and attention to this thread Martin.

Have a great day!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

We have now investigated this further: Wine is giving us the wrong font outlines. We tested two ways to retrieve the outlines, and both gave the same wrong result.

We can change it so that under Wine the text output no longer uses our routines and thus the outlines, but there will still be problems in other places (clipping with text layers, converting text to vector).

Martin
ret
Mitglied

Beitrag von ret »

Hello Martin. I'm very pleased to have acquired the Photoline license. You guys really listen to the community that uses the software.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Mi 12 Mai 2021 11:22 We can change it so that under Wine the text output no longer uses our routines and thus the outlines, but there will still be problems in other places (clipping with text layers, converting text to vector).
I think it is a very good solution and a great progress Martin. Of course, converting text to vector and cropping are also important, but exporting images is something you do all the time for the web in general and with that bug it was a very difficult thing to do.

Please, let me know when you think that solution will be available.

Thank you for taking the time to this solution and sorry for the delay in responding.

Have a great day!
Lindinha2003
Mitglied

Beitrag von Lindinha2003 »

From the past I know that TrueType Fonts lack precision, so maybe you have a chance to download the OTF version of the font and check the output. gimp download
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

ret hat geschrieben: Mo 17 Mai 2021 06:46 We can change it so that under Wine the text output no longer uses our routines and thus the outlines, (...)
PhotoLine 22.90B10 should do that:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6585

Martin
ret
Mitglied

Beitrag von ret »

Hi there Martin. I'll try it right now!

Really thanks for support and all help! You guys rock!!! :D
Antworten