Some questions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Some questions

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I mostly process raw images and PL does a very good job of setting the adjustment layers such that I don't generally need to do much to the photo as a whole, and I just end up having to address minor issues. The layer stack that PL generates for the raw image contains a Curves adjustment layer and it has multiple "boxes" marked along the curve so that any adjustment of the curve itself only adjusts between the "boxes". To do a more general image adjustment with the Curves adjustment layer I need to add a new Curves layer. This is not a problem for me, but I do wonder what the "boxes" on the initial Curves layer represent. Why are they there? And what makes those particular points important enough to mark them on the Curves layer?See the screen shot below.

Also, is there any way to set how much of a zoom should be used when the image is opened? As it is the raw images I open are generally set to something like 12.5% (which is too small) or 25% (which is too large). I know I can then adjust whatever zoom I want using the adjustment control below the image, or using the Cmd +/- keys (I work on a Mac) or a number of other controls in PL, but is there some way to set it so that I don't have to adjust every single image that I open?

And, lastly, is there any way to apply an "action" to an image automatically when it is opened? I use the term Action here not necessarily to mean running a PL Action in the Action panel, but some way to cause something to happen. In this particular case I would like to run the Lens Correction functionality so that any open raw image would automatically be corrected and I would not have to do it later manually. There is a control setting in Preferences (Browse -> Settings -> Action After Opening Image) but it does not have any setting to allow me to run any functionality. Perhaps there is a part of the forum to make requests for future functionality? I have not seen that anywhere.
Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 9.06.33 AM.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Some questions

Beitrag von shijan »

See some explanations about different concepts of RAW processing in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6497&p=50068#p50068
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 29 Dez 2021 18:28 (...) The layer stack that PL generates for the raw image contains a Curves adjustment layer and it has multiple "boxes" marked along the curve so that any adjustment of the curve itself only adjusts between the "boxes".
By "boxes" you mean the green squares?
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 29 Dez 2021 18:28 To do a more general image adjustment with the Curves adjustment layer I need to add a new Curves layer. This is not a problem for me, but I do wonder what the "boxes" on the initial Curves layer represent. Why are they there? And what makes those particular points important enough to mark them on the Curves layer?See the screen shot below.
Generally, the green squares define the shape of the curve. When importing a raw file, PhotoLine automatically calculates a curve, that resembles the brightness of the raw's preview picture.
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 29 Dez 2021 18:28Also, is there any way to set how much of a zoom should be used when the image is opened? As it is the raw images I open are generally set to something like 12.5% (which is too small) or 25% (which is too large). I know I can then adjust whatever zoom I want using the adjustment control below the image, or using the Cmd +/- keys (I work on a Mac) or a number of other controls in PL, but is there some way to set it so that I don't have to adjust every single image that I open?
If your zooms are either 12.5% or 25%, it seems that PhotoLine is using fix zoom factors (for example 4:1, 2:1, 1:2, 1:4, 1:8) after opening an image.
In the Preferences at "Display > Document" there is a switch named "Fix Zoom For Images When Opening" (default is off). If turned off, document will use a "free" zoom factor. Is it on in your settings?
MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Mi 29 Dez 2021 18:28And, lastly, is there any way to apply an "action" to an image automatically when it is opened? I use the term Action here not necessarily to mean running a PL Action in the Action panel, but some way to cause something to happen. In this particular case I would like to run the Lens Correction functionality so that any open raw image would automatically be corrected and I would not have to do it later manually.
In the Preferences at "File > Raw", there is the option "Load As:". If set to "Embedded Placeholder" or "File-based Placeholder" (default is "Embedded Placeholder"), PhotoLine will automatically create a "Lens Correction" layer:
LayerListRaw.png
If PhotoLine didn't find the correct lens, the "Lens Correction" layer might be turned off.

Martin
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

>When importing a raw file, PhotoLine automatically calculates a curve, that resembles the brightness of the raw's preview picture.

Thank you for this information. I was just curious.

> Is it on in your settings?

It was. I have turned it off and now the zoom works as I wished.

> If set to "Embedded Placeholder" or "File-based Placeholder" (default is "Embedded Placeholder"), PhotoLine will automatically create a "Lens Correction" layer:

It was set to "image" but I have changed it and now I have the distortion correction layer.

Thank you for all of your help. The more I use PhotoLine the more powerful I understand it to be and the more I rely on it rather than my old editing tools.