PhotoLine 23 save dialog.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
borgo1971
Mitglied

PhotoLine 23 save dialog.

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

I noticed that with PL 23.0 and 23.0.1 (I didn't use much PL 23.0, but I'm pretty sure that I got this issue too), many times, save options are not consistent with file type. The issue goes away if I change save location, so it isn't really a blocking bug, but sometimes it becomes noisy.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5566a6iw6733 ... 8.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcl0vewhy0w39 ... 5.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/033pdwro27764 ... 1.png?dl=0
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: PhotoLine 23 save dialog.

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

I can't reproduce that.

What exactly did you do?
You used "File > Save As"? Are the options already wrong after opening the save dialog? Or only after changing the file format? Can you reproduce that?
Which macOS are you using?
What are your preferences in "File > Opzioni", especially "Formato predefinito"?

Martin
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

You used "File > Save As"?
Yes.
Are the options already wrong after opening the save dialog? Or only after changing the file format?
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that it only happens by changing the format
Can you reproduce that?
We are lucky, because it didn't happen every time. But today morning, opening the first image I found on desktop (a old screenshot), it happened again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvwrx4x006u5e ... 8.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvcetlferd5f9 ... 3.png?dl=0
Which macOS are you using?
macOS 10.15.7 (build H1615), but happened with previous macOS build to. And I got this issue even with PhotoLine 19.5 and previous maOSs, but it but it was very very rare. Now it happens often, almost once in two ore three... but I still haven't been able to figure out what triggers this oddity.
What are your preferences in "File > Opzioni", especially "Formato predefinito"?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpm6cder9ygb8 ... 4.png?dl=0
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Do 13 Jan 2022 09:15 macOS 10.15.7 (build H1615), but happened with previous macOS build to. And I got this issue even with PhotoLine 19.5 and previous maOSs, but it but it was very very rare. Now it happens often, almost once in two ore three... but I still haven't been able to figure out what triggers this oddity.
With macOS 10.15, Apple started to display the Save dialog in a separate process. This introduced quite a few bugs that haven't been fixed in 10.15. Some were fixed in macOS 11 and macOS 12 now works acceptable again.

I just tried that on macOS 12 and couldn't see a problem. I have a similar behavior, if a add a filename extender in the save panel (for example enter "test.tif" as filename). In this situation, changing the file format does always show the TIFF settings. But your screenshots don't show an extender.

Martin
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

if a add a filename extender in the save panel (for example enter "test.tif" as filename). In this situation, changing the file format does always show the TIFF settings. But your screenshots don't show an extender.
Exactly, I had the same behaviour with PL32 version 19.51 that I used until I decided to upgrade to PL21 version 23. Even with (and before) macOS 10.15 that I use since about one year. I'm pretty sure that things changed with PL32 version 23... before, this issue was limited to inconsistent file extensions.
Now I remember better: before it happened if in "save as..." dialog I clicked on another file to take it's name (sometimes I'm a little lazy :D ), even I changed file extension afterwards. Now it happens much more often, even without using this trick.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Do you have file extensions turned on in Finder?

If you click on a file in the save panel, macOS will set its name including the extension and since 10.15 PhotoLine has no way to remove that extension. So until you manually remove this extension, you will be locked to the settings of the extension.

Martin
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 14 Jan 2022 10:47 Do you have file extensions turned on in Finder?
What do you mean? If I set Finder to see all extensions, or if I unchecked the "hide extension" in single file info dialog? In the first case, answer is no... in second case, answer is: sometimes yes, sometimes not.
So until you manually remove this extension, you will be locked to the settings of the extension.
OK, and this was the case until PL32 version 19.5. But with PL32 version 23.x something changed. Now I got erroneus file option even without entering file extension in save dialog. Extension that seems not to be showed in any case. I didn't notice it until now. Even I uncheck in Finder the hide extension button on a screenshot, opening it with PL32 v.23, and trying to save it with the "save as" command, won't let me see (and modify) the extension. And if the file options aren't locked to original file type, even clicking on another file to take it's name, won't append file extension and won't change file type or options.
But doing some try yesterday (after your answer), I noticed another thing that may be interesting. I opened more times the screenshot from witch I toke the last "save as" dialog shots, and options was locked to .png file type until I played with file extension from finder. When I unchecked the "hide extension", reopening the file with PL32 v.23 didn't lock file options. So I guessed it was related to this (didn't remember exactly if in the previous case extension was visible or not), and hid the extensions again, guessing that this will lock file options again. But didn't. Now this file opens and let me save it in any file format, without weird behaviour. I checked and unchecked the hide extension more times, but file options won't be locked again.
But the weird behaviour isn't gone at all from computer... I just tried to open a jpeg file that had visible extension, and this is it's "save as" dialog:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xuma4bfvx7xmx ... 5.png?dl=0
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

I discovered that problem goes away putting manually the file extension in file name. Even normally file extension is not visible in "Save as..." dialog, adding the file extension to the name (it seems I can use every PhotoLine known extension), makes option (and file extension) change when I change file format. This is the second workaround for this issue (changing the path is the first).
I'll add that surly you are true, saying it's macOS / Catalina fault, but I have not encountered similar problems in any other software besides PhotoLine. And I can live with it, especially now that I have a better understanding of his behavior and how to get around it.
My regards,
Adriano.