Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Video series

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

Using Curves in PhotoLine
YouTube video series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FGoo2z2T8f

Just one video so far. It is somewhat elementary, but they progress from here.
It is unlisted right now, you have to have the link; will make it public if the response is positive.
The quality is better if you change it to 720p60 in the settings.

The plan is:
Video 1: the curves adjustment layer
Video 2: layer masks
Video 3: saturation and vibrance curves
Video 4: color filters, blend modes, and color balance
Video 5: Lab curves
derpeter
Mitglied

Re: Video series

Beitrag von derpeter »

That's a good idea. I'm interested. I'm sure many others too. :!:

I'm looking forward to the next videos.
:D
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Nice. Dragging within the picture to lighten or darken was new to me.

Next I was thinking about more topics that could be added to that curves video. I found that they nicely fit into the topics of your next videos, as they will be all somewhat related to curves or layers of curves.

So besides curves, this video contained a little UI setup, some explanation to layers, a little bit about saving files. "Edit > Options > File > Save options" would fit there, too.

What do you think about making own videos for own topics? Add videos about "RGB color model/space - why layers in general - blend modes, what are adjustment layers" before this one, I think these topics are surprisingly hard for "real" beginners. Also it would shorten this video. At first I was like "omg, 10 minutes about a topic I already know everything about (I didn't)? Is it worth to look at?"
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
chrischa
Mitglied

Beitrag von chrischa »

Great work, thank you!
Photoline 23 unter Windows 10/64 Bit
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Good job.

Just a couple of comments. :( There are many 'basic' tutorials on the web. What I would like to see are those that make Photoline unique. Tutorials on subjects such as installing External programs. Installing plugins. Creating Actions. Mixing colour spaces within a document.

Having said that anything that helps learn Photoline is a plus.

Thank
Duncan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Duncan »

Top job Russell, many thanks.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Video 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPeH8zc ... 8f&index=2
Add videos about "RGB color model/space - why layers in general - blend modes, what are adjustment layers" before this one
I had wanted new users to be able to jump in and try using curves without watching “dry” content first; the content then accumulates like a snowball.
What I would like to see are those that make Photoline unique. Tutorials on subjects such as installing External programs. Installing plugins. Creating Actions. Mixing colour spaces within a document.
Mixing color spaces is addressed in saturation curves (HIS) and Lab curves; the latter will include an action. Another PhotoLine-unique feature is HIS color filters, also coming up.
mrocha
Mitglied

Beitrag von mrocha »

Nice, sharing actions is a good thing also.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Nice work Russell.
Thanks
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Nice, "Right click > use adjustment mask" was new to me.

At 0:35 you start with white/black/transparent and the mnemonic. "White = Transparent, Black = nothing shows through" sounds odd to me, I would describe it just the other way around: Black = 0 = nothing is changed, White = 100% = settings apply completely.

You can increase the size of the thumbnails with a right click into the empty space of the layer list.

Do you have this on your TODOs for a future video? Using "View > Panels > Adjustment layer" to add work to an already given layer, text, vector or even groups?
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Video 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGGDVF ... 8f&index=4
Do you have this on your TODOs for a future video? Using "View > Panels > Adjustment layer" to add work to an already given layer, text, vector or even groups?
I really dislike that panel; it’s too cramped. I prefer just reopening the dialog.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

How about describe useful keyboard shortcuts in Curves tool?
Numpad + & Numpad - keys allow to select next previous points without touching to curve by mouse pointer.
Alt & drag to snap point to grid.
Shift & drag to move point vertically.
Arrows keys to move point anywhere.

P.S. I added link to your new tutorials to Collection of Tutorials in English thread here https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6301
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Hoogo hat geschrieben: Di 26 Jul 2022 14:44 Nice, "Right click > use adjustment mask" was new to me.
You can also Shift + Click to thumbnail to enable/disable it even quicker.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
OldRadioGuy
Mitglied

Beitrag von OldRadioGuy »

Russell, excellent. Making these videos available on YouTube should tweak the interest of some potential new users.
PhotoLine 24.xx |DxO PureRAW 3 |Various Third-Party Plugins | macOS 14.11 | Apple M2 Max | 64 GB Memory | E-M1markIII.