14.10 on MacOSX + HP B9180: color management bug

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
marco.molteni
Mitglied

14.10 on MacOSX + HP B9180: color management bug

Beitrag von marco.molteni »

Hi,
I am evaluating Photoline 14.10 on Mac OS X 10.4 with an HP Photosmart Pro B9180 printer and I think I have found two bugs related to Color Management.

I have a monitor calibrated with a colorimeter, but in any case this is independent from the bugs.

I go to Preferences | Color Management | Devices. "Activate Color Management" is checked. At this point, I want to assign an ICC profile to the Printer, which is indicated correctly as Photosmart Pro B9100 series. I choose from the scroll down menu one of the profiles that came with the printer, namely HP PSPro B9100-Advanced Photo Glossy. I click on Apply and then on Ok. The Preferences window closes without any special message (as expected). BUT, If I open the preferences window again, the ICC profile associated to the printer is "None". This is the bug.

And obviously, if I print, I get really ugly colors with a dark green cast.

The second bug is for the soft proof. In this case "Preferences | Color Management | Devices | Proof" stores the ICC profile I assign to it. But, when I do "View | Proof mode", the colors on the screen become very bright, while they should become sligthly darker.

I even deinstalled and reinstalled the latest HP printer drivers, but nothing changed.

Besides those bugs, that don't allow me to print, I have to say that I really like PL! :-) Please let me know if you need further info to resolve this problem.

marco
marco.molteni
Mitglied

Re: 14.10 on MacOSX + HP B9180: color management bug

I don't even think that this problem is related to the HP B9180 profiles, since I tried assigning other profiles, already existing in Mac OS X, and I get the same behavior: the profile is reset to None.

marco
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

marco.molteni hat geschrieben:I don't even think that this problem is related to the HP B9180 profiles, since I tried assigning other profiles, already existing in Mac OS X, and I get the same behavior: the profile is reset to None.
I don't think, that it is related to the profiles, too. I will try to reproduce this error.

But you can always assign a profile to your printer by using the ColorSync Utility, and PhotoLine should use this profile even if it is showing "None" in "Preferences/Color Management/Devices".

Martin
marco.molteni
Mitglied

thanks Martin for the quick reply, and also for the workaround. I'll wait to see what you find out.

marco
marco.molteni
Mitglied

Hi Martin,

in the meantime I purchased PL. I tested with the latest version, 14.51, and both bugs are still present. Any idea of when you will fix them?

thanks
marco
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

marco.molteni hat geschrieben:in the meantime I purchased PL. I tested with the latest version, 14.51, and both bugs are still present. Any idea of when you will fix them?
I can't reproduce this error on our computers and with our printers. I have now inserted some diagnotic code to help us finding the problem. We will contact you when a version with this diagnostic code can be downloaded.

Martin
marco.molteni
Mitglied

ok, thanks
marco
marco.molteni
Mitglied

I would like to say that Martin provided me with a dev version that fixes all the soft proofing issues I had. So, potential buyers: yes, the next version of PhotoLine will do soft proofing correctly on Mac OS X, and will obey to the ICC profiles selected. Regarding printing, I still have to perform more tests. I would like to add that I think that PhotoLine is a very very good _professional_ image editing software at an unbeatable price! And the developers behind PL do care about their customers!

marco