New Features: New Crop Tool....Info Tutorials?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
genosmm
Mitglied

New Features: New Crop Tool....Info Tutorials?

Beitrag von genosmm »

Tried to crop using std tool on left but have had problems changing aspect ratio.

Saw on website New Features * New Crop Tool, * Create Test Strip, * Ruler Tool

Am interested in each and how to use them.

Thanks

Gene
genosmm
Mitglied

Re: New Features: New Crop Tool....Info Tutorials?

Beitrag von genosmm »

From the lack of response am wondering if I missed a link to info on PhotoLine New Features?

Gene
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello Gene,
have you tired the "old" rectangular lasso tool? This is actually the main cropping tool in photoline for photos and has easy to use aspect ratio settings (the "tool settings" window is essential !).
I am not aware of any tutorials (other than the help files) but it just needs a bit of playing.
What do you want to do specifically?

- The new "crop" tool works on the complete image or document and crops all layers simultaneously.
- If you use the "old" rectangular lasso for cropping the effect is usually applied to the single active layer but one has many more options there: the proportion presets (aspect ratio), the straighten effect (if the rectangular lasso was rotated before - holding down the CTRL key for the rotation of the corners), ..., and "cropping" the content into a new window (copying into a new file).
When using the crop tool you have to generate the aspect ratio currently manually by entering respective "cm" or "inch" values (like 15cm by 10 cm). If you do not force resampling to a new resolution this should be straightforward and without detriment to the image.
Zuletzt geändert von lutz am Di 26 Feb 2008 21:16, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
genosmm
Mitglied

Beitrag von genosmm »

Lutz,

Tried the "old rectangular lasso tool" but was not comfortable with it compared to others that I have used, which is why I was interested in trying the "New Crop Tool" but was unable to locate it or find any info on it beside the mention that v14 has it.

Gene
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

You find these 2 tools there:
Crop-tools.gif
I prefer the old one, the new one does something with dpi and rescaling and stuff like that... Never got used to it.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:You find these 2 tools there:
Crop-tools.gif
I prefer the old one, the new one does something with dpi and rescaling and stuff like that... Never got used to it.
I prefer the crop tool, whenever I want to crop a whole document (all layers). And I have turned the rescaling off :wink:
With rescaling turned off PhotoLine will show you the resulting dpi for a given output size, which may be helpful in some situations.

Martin
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hello,

I believe that Gene's question shows that the new crop tool is not sufficiently explained in the help files.
While the tool itself is of course very useful; having two separate tools is not exactly intuitive ( as is using the lasso as the actual cropping tool). I guess it can be expected that more users will be searching for an aspect ratio settings in the crop tool. I believe the cropping instruments can be organized more intuitively ( as a single dedicated tool? ?) - in any case the documentation currently does not reveal the differences between the two present tools; when to use one or the other?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

lutz hat geschrieben:Hello,

I believe that Gene's question shows that the new crop tool is not sufficiently explained in the help files.
While the tool itself is of course very useful; having two separate tools is not exactly intuitive ( as is using the lasso as the actual cropping tool). I guess it can be expected that more users will be searching for an aspect ratio settings in the crop tool. I believe the cropping instruments can be organized more intuitively ( as a single dedicated tool? ?) - in any case the documentation currently does not reveal the differences between the two present tools; when to use one or the other?
The crop tool will always crop the whole document, while the lasso tool just crops the active layer. But if the active layer is the background layer, their effect is similar.
I will add this to the online-help.

Martin
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Thanks for the explanations!
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hi Martin

I didn’t try the new crop tool before, but I just did on a photo I had placed on a document. It cropoped the document!!!

Sorry, Martin, but this is bizarre.

See Canvas to see how a crop tool should work when you have an image in a document. It should crop the image.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:I didn’t try the new crop tool before, but I just did on a photo I had placed on a document. It cropoped the document!!!
That is exactly what I wrote: The crop tool crops the document, while the lasso tool crops the active layer.
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:Sorry, Martin, but this is bizarre.
I don't think, that this is bizarre. There are two different tools for two different tasks.

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Hello Martin

It might look fine to you as an engineer, but to me as a practical, working DTPer, I must insist that having a crop tool that crops the page size is bizarre.

This tool is FINE in the image window but not in the document window.

BUT ...

When I set up a document that is, say, of A4 size on a virtual pasteboard, it is supposed to be an analog of a real sheet of A4 paper on a real paste-up board. This is the way we all made the transition from hard copy to computer-based work. A crop tool does NOT cut down the size of the sheet of paper, it cuts down the size of the image on it.

Further, to be frank, I can't see a single use for cropping the paper under an image ... and leaving the image uncropped!

If I want to change the page or document size, I'll do that where it should be done -- under "Layout".

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com