Cannot Export Monochrome Pic as PDF

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
Eidolon
Mitglied

Cannot Export Monochrome Pic as PDF

Beitrag von Eidolon »

I can't export a monochrome picture or a document containing a monochrome picture as PDF. I'm using PL 14.10 on Mac OS 10.5.2.

To reproduce:

1. Open a monochrome (B&W) picture, or convert another kind of picture to monochrome, or create a document with a monochrome picture as a layer.

2. Choose File > Export > PDF. In the dialog box, note that the "File Size" button does not respond.

3. Click Save. Result: error message reading "Picture couldn't be saved!"

Is there any way around this?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Cannot Export Monochrome Pic as PDF

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Eidolon hat geschrieben:I can't export a monochrome picture or a document containing a monochrome picture as PDF. I'm using PL 14.10 on Mac OS 10.5.2.

To reproduce:

1. Open a monochrome (B&W) picture, or convert another kind of picture to monochrome, or create a document with a monochrome picture as a layer.

2. Choose File > Export > PDF. In the dialog box, note that the "File Size" button does not respond.

3. Click Save. Result: error message reading "Picture couldn't be saved!"
I just tried this and it worked fine. What's the size of your image and what are your PDF settings? Does the error occur with other monochrome images, too?

Martin
Eidolon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eidolon »

Thanks for your response, Martin. After more testing, I found that the problem occurs consistently with monochrome TIFs and PNGs. It does not occur with monochrome JPEGs. I did not test other formats.

For monochrome TIFs and PNGs, the export failure occurs with all PDF settings.

And here's another surprise. When I print monochrome TIFs and PNGs, black and white are inverted. The inversion is apparent in the preview thumbnail in the Print dialog box. The inversion is also present if I choose Apple's Save as PDF or Open PDF in Preview in the Print dialog box.

Thus, if a monochrome TIF or PNG is present, the only way to obtain a PDF is to choose Color > Invert and then to choose Apple's Print > Save as PDF.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

I just tried it on Mac OS X.4.11. No problems in either picture or page mode with JPEG or TIF pix converted to B&W by either Layer|Convert Layer Type|Gray Image 8 bit OR by lowering of sdaturation to zero, then saved as PDF. Then opened and printed by Acrobat Reader 7, PDFpen and by PhotoLine.

UNABLE to test PNG as in several tests, PL32 14.10 failed to convert the pic -- either colour or B&W -- to PNG. It froze and I had to Force Quit. I tried this several times. In once case, I got a file somewhat sved -- the preview is attached. PL32 recognises this image via the "open" command, but when asked to go ahead and open it, doesn't do anything.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Dateianhänge
bwtestpng.jpg
bwtestpng.jpg (31.61 KiB) 10876 mal betrachtet
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:UNABLE to test PNG as in several tests, PL32 14.10 failed to convert the pic -- either colour or B&W -- to PNG. It froze and I had to Force Quit. I tried this several times. In once case, I got a file somewhat sved -- the preview is attached.
I just tried this on a Intel- and on a PPC-Mac and saving as PNG worked fine in b/w, color-reduced (<= 256) and full-color. But saving a large, full-color picture was very slow (using the strongest compression). Can it be, that PhotoLine was still saving when you did the Force Quit?

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Hello Martin

I gave it another go this morning with the same picture. This time, it "saved as" to PNG and also converted fine to B&W and saved in PNG format. I saved that as PDF and it printed fine out of PL32 and out of Acrobat Reader 7, and it placed fine into Canvas X, saved as to PDF and printed fine out of Acrobat Reader.

HOWEVER -- the conversion to PNG was much faster than the failure yesterday. When I tried converting yesterday, PL32 had definitely stopped functioning, according to OS X. The beachball was spinning forever. There was some error involved.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Eidolon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eidolon »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:No problems in either picture or page mode with JPEG or TIF pix converted to B&W by either Layer|Convert Layer Type|Gray Image 8 bit OR by lowering of sdaturation to zero
Thanks for testing, but these methods do not produce what PL calls a "monochrome" image. You have to go to Layer > Convert Layer Type, and choose "To: Monochrome Picture."

I must correct one of my earlier remarks. Monochrome JPEGs also cannot be saved as PDF. My confusion occurred because PL converts monochrome JPEG to grayscale JPEG when you save the file. Is this another bug?

If I convert a JPEG to monochrome and try to export it to PDF without saving the file first (so that the file is not secretly changed to grayscale), the export fails, just as it does with TIF and PNG.

I have attached here a monochrome TIF that PL refuses to save as PDF, whether the graphic is on its own or part of a page. If you open this file in PL, also choose File > Print and see whether black and white are inverted in the preview.

The export failure is significant because monochrome graphics have a major application in PDF: in the low-res scanning and archiving of print documents.
Dateianhänge
MonochromeTest.tif
MonochromeTest.tif (21.62 KiB) 10810 mal betrachtet
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Eidolon hat geschrieben:I must correct one of my earlier remarks. Monochrome JPEGs also cannot be saved as PDF. My confusion occurred because PL converts monochrome JPEG to grayscale JPEG when you save the file. Is this another bug?
JPEG can not save 1 bit data, so it is expanded to 8 bit.
Eidolon hat geschrieben:If I convert a JPEG to monochrome and try to export it to PDF without saving the file first (so that the file is not secretly changed to grayscale), the export fails, just as it does with TIF and PNG.

I have attached here a monochrome TIF that PL refuses to save as PDF, whether the graphic is on its own or part of a page.
I still can't reproduce this error. I can export this image as PDF without problems.
Eidolon hat geschrieben:If you open this file in PL, also choose File > Print and see whether black and white are inverted in the preview.
This is reproducable and will be fixed in version 14.11.

Martin
greenmorpher
Mitglied

I've just realized I have been operating under a misapprehension -- I have been converting to GRAY SCALE, not 1 bit 100% black and 100% white. Sorry, Eidolon, you said "monochrome" which is one colour, and commonly refers to gray scale, which is one colour -- black, but in shades of.

I was thinking of monochrome photos, which we used to call black & white -- but don't any longer. I didn’t get that you mean 1 bit. So anything I have said here in respect of print does not fit your case.

BUT!!!

Now I see switching to 1 bit is called "Monochrome" in the Layer|Convert Layer Type. MARTIN!!! This is wrong. It should be B&W. "Monochrome" is gray scale, one colour, as distinct from polychrome, which is many colours.

SO -- I tested and replicated your error, Eidolon.

I have just made a test with an image saved to PNG in PL32, then saved to PDF in PL32, then closed, then opened in PL32. It looked right, but when printed, it reversed out. When printed out of Acrobat Reader 7, it looked right and printed right.

This on Mac OS X.4.11

Cheers, geoff
Eidolon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eidolon »

I continue to get PDF exporting failures in which Photoline gives the error message "Picture couldn't be saved!"

But I find that the presence of 1-bit images is not a factor. Sometimes a 1-bit image is exported to PDF successfully, sometimes not. Sometimes a document with no 1-bit image is exported successfully, sometimes not.

I've discovered a behavior that might help resolve the bug. With one document that failed to export, the problem occurs if "No Embedding" or "Embed Only Allowed" is selected in the PDF export settings for "Fonts." The problem does not occur with the same document if "Convert Forbidden Fonts to Path" or "Convert All to Path" is selected.

Thus, maybe the problem is tied to font processing. I'm on Mac OS 10.5.2, using PL 14.11.

As I mentioned before, a quick way to tell whether a PDF export will fail is to click on the File Size button in the Save dialog box. If the output is 0, the export will fail.
Dateianhänge
PDF_Error.jpg
PDF_Error.jpg (9.9 KiB) 10715 mal betrachtet
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Eidolon hat geschrieben:I've discovered a behavior that might help resolve the bug. With one document that failed to export, the problem occurs if "No Embedding" or "Embed Only Allowed" is selected in the PDF export settings for "Fonts." The problem does not occur with the same document if "Convert Forbidden Fonts to Path" or "Convert All to Path" is selected.
If you have a PLD-file, which can be used to reproduce the error, please send it to support@pl32.com.

Martin
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:If you have a PLD-file, which can be used to reproduce the error, please send it to support@pl32.com.
Nothing arrived until now.

Gerhard
Antworten