Glyphs Are Clipped When Text Is Converted to Bitmap

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Eidolon
Mitglied

Glyphs Are Clipped When Text Is Converted to Bitmap

Beitrag von Eidolon »

Hello. I am using PL 14.11 on Mac OS 10.5.2.

When text is formatted in a script font, certain glyphs are clipped (cut off) on the right side when the text is converted to a bitmap (through Layer > Convert Layer Type).

The clipping happens the same way to the same glyphs throughout the text. That is, if "e" is cut off in one place, it is cut off the same way everywhere. If "a" is not cut off in one place, it is never cut off.

I tested the following script fonts, and they all showed the problem:
-- Apple Chancery (provided with OS 10.5)
-- Commercial Script (a traditional PostScript Type 1 font)
-- Shelley Volante BT (a traditional TrueType font)

I did not see the problem in nonscript fonts, but I didn't test them extensively. Because of the strong slope in script fonts, they have a lot of negative sidebearings. The bounding boxes around the glyphs overlap. PL may not be allowing for this overlap during conversion to bitmaps.

The attached screenshot shows the problem in Commercial Script and Apple Chancery.

This issue is significant because PL converts text to bitmaps when an effect is applied to the text and the document is saved to PDF.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Glyphs Are Clipped When Text Is Converted to Bitmap

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Eidolon hat geschrieben:Hello. I am using PL 14.11 on Mac OS 10.5.2.

When text is formatted in a script font, certain glyphs are clipped (cut off) on the right side when the text is converted to a bitmap (through Layer > Convert Layer Type).

The clipping happens the same way to the same glyphs throughout the text. That is, if "e" is cut off in one place, it is cut off the same way everywhere. If "a" is not cut off in one place, it is never cut off.

I tested the following script fonts, and they all showed the problem:
-- Apple Chancery (provided with OS 10.5)
-- Commercial Script (a traditional PostScript Type 1 font)
-- Shelley Volante BT (a traditional TrueType font)

I did not see the problem in nonscript fonts, but I didn't test them extensively. Because of the strong slope in script fonts, they have a lot of negative sidebearings. The bounding boxes around the glyphs overlap. PL may not be allowing for this overlap during conversion to bitmaps.
No, that is not the problem. You can see in your screenshot, that there are some overlapping bounds.
Eidolon hat geschrieben:The attached screenshot shows the problem in Commercial Script and Apple Chancery.
I don't habe Commercial Script, but the problem with Apple Chancery comes from the fact, that you turned on "Italic", but there is no italic face of Apple Chancery installed. In this situation PhotoLine gets the incorrect side bearings from the OS.
I will see, what I can do, but the solution will most probably be, that using "italic" will be disabled, if there is no italic face.

Martin
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

What happens if you convert to a vector before converting to a raster-image?
I have a "script.fon" here on my windows where converting to vectors produces strange results, but it works for more common fonts.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:I have a "script.fon" here on my windows where converting to vectors produces strange results, but it works for more common fonts.
"script.fon" is a bitmap font and you shouldn't be able to use it in PhotoLine. How do you apply it to your text?

Martin
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

It looks more like a very simple vector-format to me...
lutz
Mitglied

Beitrag von lutz »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:It looks more like a very simple vector-format to me...
Like these here: http://www.elfring.com/bitmap.htm ?

apparently ".FON" is bitmap only
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

No, it's size is 12K and looks like this.
The tiny file-informations included tell something about 1992, Windows 3.1. I just placed it into my font-folder at home and made this screen-dump, because PL tells me the font is not installed... Very odd, maybe an abandoned file format? I wonder how it made its way to our server...
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Eidolon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Eidolon »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:I don't habe Commercial Script, but the problem with Apple Chancery comes from the fact, that you turned on "Italic"
The italic style was not applied in any of these samples. In retesting, I find that the problem is intermittent. If I create a new file, the problem does not appear immediately. But after I manipulate the file a while, one of the script fonts starts to show clipping.

The problem may be due to the unusual nature of these fonts. My versions of Commercial Script and Shelley Volante BT date from the early 1990s and are technologically obsolete. Apple Chancery is loaded with OpenType glyph variants. I believe that PL, despite its many excellent features, does not recognize all OT typographic features (it seems to handle automatic ligatures) and does not correctly space the glyph variants it displays in Apple Chancery. (Compare the performance of this font in TextEdit.) Therefore, it's not surprising if a bitmap rendering of these unusual fonts gives inconsistent results.

The solution suggested by Hoogo -- converting the text to vectors first -- was successful. I'm glad to find a way around the problem, since I enjoy working in PL.