PL32 and Wine (Linux)

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
Peter Heckert
Mitglied

PL32 and Wine (Linux)

Beitrag von Peter Heckert »

Hello,

has anybody expierience with wine and PL32?

I have Fedora Core 5 and just tried with wine.
PL32 installs well, I get an icon on my desktop and it opens.
While I get a preview for images the image will not load and will not display.

I get these Messages:

[peter@localhost PhotoLine]$ wine PhotoLine.exe
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub
(null): unsupported file format.
fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB copy
fixme:wintab32:WTInfoW (4, 0, 0x7fc8fad0): stub
fixme:wintab32:WTOpenW (0x200a6, 0x7fc8fad0, 1): stub
(null): unsupported file format.
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_ReleaseMarshalData could not map object ID to stub manager, oxid=c0000000d, oid=3
err:ole:CoReleaseMarshalData IMarshal::ReleaseMarshalData failed with error 0x8001011d
fixme:ole:CoRegisterMessageFilter stub

Are there any tips for wine-set
up and could I get this working using native dlls from windows XP or windows 98?

I also made a trial with crossover-office, but this didnt work either, had the same results.

regards,

Peter
Loadus
Mitglied
Re: PL32 and Wine (Linux)

Beitrag von Loadus »

I know this is an ancient post, however, I thought I'd share my findings with people who want to try and run Photoline in Linux.

I'm currently running Kubuntu 64-bit and Wine 0.9.59. I installed Photoline and from what I can tell everything works 99.9% - I'll have to go through the effects and layer functions to test everything out, but it seems that Photoline is good to go on Linux. Only thing that does stand out are the icons - transparency of the icons is not handled correctly by wine, so the resulting buttons have interesting black blobs on them. I guess I'll have to draw my own buttons. :D

What I would need now is a "blind" readmode for all ICC profiles in /system32/spool/drivers/color/, since Photoline currently reads only profiles that have been installed - only problem is that I don't know how to install profiles in Wine - I probably have to go to the registry and add the profiles manually, but the normal user should not do this. ;)

Screencap of Photoline 14.50 running in Kubuntu 7.10 64-bit:
http://www.loadusfx.net/pl32/pl_on_linux.jpeg
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Thank you for this report.
About the icons, try to turn of the shadow at Edit/Options/Usage/Toolbar. Here there is a "Display Mode".
About the profiles: We will try to give you a help here.

Gerhard
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

The toolbar options fixed the black blobs on the icons, groovy. :)

Things that are funky at the moment:

- Cursors do not show up - while working, the cursor just disappears over the image area (Windows' cursors are installed)
- Long wait times while filters load the preview (not always)
- Layers give odd previews (vertical bands) but they do not affect the final composition (Wine does not update the working area quick enough, same happens while painting with the brush)
- Keyboard layout (shortcuts) are reset every time Photoline is started, possibly a permission issue somewhere(?)
- Random errors, but nothing fatal so far - most are warnings about window functions (Wine)

I'm just thinking out loud here but, if there is a OSX port of Photoline, isn't a Linux port then relatively easy? Mac OSX is Unix based, isn't it? I'm not a programmer but I've always thought Linux porting was always easier than to Mac (I really have no experience on that, other than compiling stuff on Linux). Native port to Linux would be mighty fast and would be the biggest (and coolest) "threat" for Photoshop. To make things simpler, I would suggest going for Debian release, ie Ubuntu/Kubuntu ... ;)
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Loadus hat geschrieben:I'm just thinking out loud here but, if there is a OSX port of Photoline, isn't a Linux port then relatively easy?
No, that doesn't help. It would help, if we would use GNUStep for the Linux port, but that isn't widely used on Linux, so I think, that on Linux we would have to use KDE or Gnome. And that means rewriting the whole UI stuff.

Martin
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Loadus hat geschrieben:I'm just thinking out loud here but, if there is a OSX port of Photoline, isn't a Linux port then relatively easy?
... we would have to use KDE ... And that means rewriting the whole UI stuff.
Can I help? lol. :D
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

Basically pl32 works beautifully in Linux - my only concern is stability, I don't trust Wine at all (not to critize Wine devs, the source of the problem is Microsoft not documenting features of their lovely little dlls), so I'm reluctant to start any major painting project. Even now, when I snatched a screenshot, the browser got stuck on a folder (illegal window call in Wine or something etc etc). :D

But anyhoo, I was just fiddling around with the Qt Editor and you could slice up the UI for Linux in a couple of days with that thing (well, maybe a bit longer). :D

Here's what pl32 looks like in Linux now (installed a few common control dlls):
http://www.loadusfx.net/pl32/photoline_kubuntu7-10.jpeg

PS:
It would help, if we would use GNUStep for the Linux port ...
Go ahead, you can add bindings (Photoline requires this n this package, install y/n) into the package when the user installs Photoline. I think. :D
okapi
Mitglied

Beitrag von okapi »

Here's what pl32 looks like in Linux now (installed a few common control dlls)
May I ask, which ones?

Regards,
Michael
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

okapi hat geschrieben:
Here's what pl32 looks like in Linux now (installed a few common control dlls)
May I ask, which ones?

Regards,
Michael
I installed almost everything that's on the winetricks -list. Main ones -I think- were:

art2kmin
dcom98
dotnet11
dotnet20
gdiplus
mfc40
vb6run
vcrun6
allfonts (+ I installed all the fonts I had currently on my windows -installation)

All or some of these affected on how Photoline looks and how the icons work.

There were also a few native dll's that needed to be installed. I also have directx9.0c installed. (but I don't think these are relevant for the Photoline installation).
The only annoying thing now is the disappearing of the cursor - on some filter dialogs and on the image workspace ...
lutz
Mitglied

Running PL32 under Wine (Linux)

Beitrag von lutz »

In the german part of the forum the current advice to use PhotoLine in Linux under Wine looks like:

- use PhotoLine Version 14.50B17 (see announcements section of the board)
- WINE Release 1.0 or (even better?) Wine Version 1.1.1
- copy the files "mscms.dll" and "icm32.dll" from Windows XP into the Wine-System32 folder and
then set these two libraries to "Native" and "Builtin" with Winecfg.exe
- copy the ICC profiles into the folder " .wine/drive_c/Programme/PhotoLine/Defaults/ICCProfiles "
(in Windows these profiles are usually located in : " \Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color " )
- install the windows fonts in Linux?

Are there any additional tips?
Loadus
Mitglied

Beitrag von Loadus »

The above instructions work excellent - all the color profiles are recognized for full color managed workflow, and the program seems to work fine. As a personal additional tip: patience needed - Wine might be 1.0x but not complete. If you use Photoline and you have bugs/quirks/crashes, REPORT them to the Wine Application Database. ^^
Antworten