2 small questions

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Xyzzy
Mitglied

2 small questions

Beitrag von Xyzzy »

Is spiral supposed to look like that?

Is there ability to use pre-set crop ratio, like 146:100?

Nice to see pretty few of my "suggestions" have been actually implemented.

X.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

The spiral is a single line from the center to the outer, so it can not be filled without filling everything. I'm not sure what you expect:
-One solution could be: Turn off the filling and increase the thickness of the line.
-Or: There are two buttons in the toolbox when you activate such vector layers, two tiny pentagrams. Try to switch them.
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

My only complaint is that the spiral is not very accurate. It's only using 4 (2?) focus points to create both the circle and square versions. In the circle version much of the spiral is shown in bent "jogs" of curved line-segments.

Would be nice if you could select many varieties that were rendered more smoothly, as on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral As well as choosing more than just a square spiral, what about choosing as many sides as you want? (triangle, pentagon, hexagon, etc.)

Though I have to admit, when playing with it just now, I found a nice use for making some very complex patterns. Select a small spacing about the same width as a line, then for the line-type select a dotted or dashed line. Then adjust the line spacing or proportions of it, also adjust the line-width and even the dashed-line segment-ends styles. As the sections of broken-line segments touch or overlap you get some pretty interesting patterns. Might come in handy one day.

(Careful to not overdo it, in very complex and large spirals, it can get so vector intensive that the program has a tendency to lock-up or crash. :) )
Zuletzt geändert von Koyaanis am Mi 19 Dez 2007 12:04, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Ludger
Mitglied

Beitrag von Ludger »

Hi xyzzy
Is there ability to use pre-set crop ratio, like 146:100?
you can doubleclick on the lasso tool or use the tool options palette (which you always should have opened): There you activate the proportional option and type right of it 146:100 into the text field.

Ludger
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Re: 2 small questions

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

Gawd, Hoogo, that must have been a helluva party the night before you took that portrait! 8-)

I often FELT like that in my younger days, but I'm not sure I was ever photographed actually looking like that! 8-)

cheers
geoff
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

Well, girls think it's cute 8)
Koyaanis
Mitglied

Beitrag von Koyaanis »

Since you're commenting on avatars, I thought I'd show you what you can do with the spiral tool, and using a dashed line with the right spacings and line-width and line style. I made my avatar with the spiral tool.

Setting, 2 pixel dashed line (square ends), 2 pixel line spacing, filled spiral (non-zero winding). Fill color, green. Line color, rainbow gradient. Spiral layer type, difference. On a black background. Then I squished and rotated the spiral a bit to give it a more interesting pattern.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Xyzzy
Mitglied

Re:

Beitrag von Xyzzy »

Ludger hat geschrieben:Hi xyzzy
you can doubleclick on the lasso tool or use the tool options palette (which you always should have opened): There you activate the proportional option and type right of it 146:100 into the text field.
Ludger
It looks to me like Crop could be completely removed and just option to darken area outside of selection added to lasso... Crop looks like poor lasso cousin with only this option added.

X.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

The Crop-Tool is somewhat mysterious to me, too. Its somewhat about dpi, centimeters and automatic rescaling, less about pixels. I am more used to pixel, so I usually use the lasso for cropping. But even for me the crop-tool is useful from time to time: Right-click into a textbox, choose pixel, type 1280*1024, set resolution to 300dpi. After cropping the result will fit perfectly to my monitor. I don't understand why the 300dpi are necessary when I choose pixel though, but I think that people that are used to measurements and dpis will know.

For the dark area around the lasso: There are 4 mask-buttons below the brush. Take care that the "show mask" is pressed. Double-click on one of them (or go to edit > options > display > mask) and you can choose the mask-color. For me 80% black is fine.
Xyzzy
Mitglied

Beitrag von Xyzzy »

OK, I think I understand it now.
Crop is for preparation of printed materials, when you know physical size & DPI required. Pixel unit can be used here, but I am not sure what meaning it has then, as pixels have no direct relation to printed material. Anyway, I find Crop useful now. Maybe it should be just named "Crop for printing" or smth like that, and allow only physical units in size fields.

X.