Lasso and feather

Answers to frequently asked questions about PhotoLine
chrislofotos
Mitglied

Lasso and feather

Beitrag von chrislofotos »

Hi
I have just installed photoline with a view to weaning myself off Photoshop!

I currently have a specific workflow which I've been using for years, I am trying to emulate this workflow in photoline, but am having a few difficulties!
I realise that there is bound to be a learning curve with any new software, but can someone please point me in the right direction to assist me with the following?

Most of my PP requires me to select different parts of the image using the lasso tool, I then feather the selection and do adjustments with curves; I am unable to find the equivalent tools in photoline, am I missing something?

Many thanks

Chris
Hoogo
Betatester

Re: Lasso and feather

Beitrag von Hoogo »

My toolbox and palettes might appear a bit different from yours, I'm using a beta version. But the differences aren't too big.

1) There's the lasso tool. Keyboard shortcut is L. I think it's called marquee tool in PS. Hold down the mouse button to see the other variations of the lasso tool.
2) The tool settings are usually on the right side of the screen. There you find the feather option.

3) Do you use the curves on the border of the created selection? If yes, then you should enable the "edit mask mode" with that button. If you use the curves on the picture itself (the usual thing), then leave that button alone.

The curves can be found in the menu "tool > curves (Alt+M)". Or right-click on the layer in the layer list, curves also appears in that popup. You might also like the small "create adjustment layer" button in the dialog of curves.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
chrislofotos
Mitglied

Many thanks for the detailed reply, I'll have a go with it later.
My main problem is getting away from my PS layout and tools that I've become used to and rely on, I've been using them for so long they are second nature!

Kind regards

Chris
chrislofotos
Mitglied

Hi
I'm still having difficulty finding a similar tool that I use in photoshop! The tool I use frequently is the 'lasso tool', it enables me draw freehand around an area to select, I can then feather this selection and make necessary adjustments in 'curves' or selective sharpening.
I often do this to separate the sky from the ground in landscapes, or to select the eyes in portraits for sharpening; I have tried using the Marquee tool as already kindly suggested by Hoogo but this doesn't give me the ability to draw a line freehand around any area.
Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Chris
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

When you click on the lasso tool, hold the mouse button a bit longer. A small window like this will popup, maybe without text, only icons.

There are 2 lasso tools in the list that you might like.
With the free lasso you can draw freehand, or click, click, click to draw lines from point to point.
The magnetic lasso is click, click, click only. It does not draw straight lines like the free lasso, but follows a line of contrast between starting point and ending point.

You can press F1 while pointing with the mouse on these tools. This kind of help should work for all buttons, panels, or menu entries.

EDIT: The feather is called soft edge in PL, you find it in the tool settings for every lasso tool, like in the screenshot above.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
chrislofotos
Mitglied

Thank you once again!

I was missing the other lasso options until I read your instructions to hold the mouse down!

Back to the drawing board! No doubt I will be posting more questions on here as I go along.

Kind regards

Chris
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

chrislofotos hat geschrieben:I was missing the other lasso options until I read your instructions to hold the mouse down!
By the way: This applies to all buttons from the tool box with that tiny red corner.
----------------