Save Work State

Herbert123
Mitglied

Save Work State

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Too often I find myself re-opening the same files, and opening the same windows. It would be great if Photoline would have an additional option to save the STATE of the windows and files which are open at the time we close Photoline: when we continue our work the next time we open Photoline, everything is exactly as we left it last time.

I am thinking this could also be a very worthwhile option for PLD files: save the state of the entire GUI when a file is saved and closed. Next time you open that file: presto, exactly as you left it last time you worked on it.

This is possible in Blender, and it is very efficient. Of course, there should be an option to avoid loading up a file's work-state as well in that case.

Opinions?
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Re: Save Work State

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: save the state of the entire GUI when a file is saved and closed. Next time you open that file: presto, exactly as you left it last time you worked on it.
I don't need that because the "state" of the GUI is always the same, in terms of the panel layout, etc.

I definitely do not want to have any open dialogs or settings panels re-opened when PL starts up again.

In other words, when I re-open a PLD file, I never want to resume working where I left off -- when I close the PLD, it's because I'm finished with the particular adjustment, tool, zoom level, etc.

About the only thing I'd like to have saved is the layer that was selected and active, which I think has been mentioned before.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Perhaps you misunderstood? I often work day after day on the same file. I may have two or more windows open of the same file (different pages, zoom levels, with or without pixel view active). When I re-open the file the next time to continue work, I have to re-open those windows (views), browse to a specific page, pan the views, zoom the views once again, and change view settings for each view. It is a a time-waster, and I just wish there would be an option to open a file with the same view(s) settings as when I closed Photoline. I am not interested in GUI settings, just the state the view window(s) was/were in, including which page I was working on.

Anyway, it would merely be an option. In Blender the state of a file you last worked on is (optionally) loaded, and it allows for a seamless continuation of where the user left off last time he/she was working on the file.

Obviously for quick adjustments, and so on, an option like this is superfluous. Because I do illustrative work, complex layout mockups, and game graphics in Photoline, it often takes multiple (many) sessions to finish things, and I would very much like being able to continue a session where I left off last time.
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Anyway, it would merely be an option. In Blender the state of a file you last worked on is (optionally) loaded, and it allows for a seamless continuation of where the user left off last time he/she was working on the file.
I understand that.

I'm just saying that even though I often work on complex image enhancements and pixel-perfect masking that can span multiple working periods, I don't need that functionality. In fact, I prefer to open the image "plain" because it reinforces my intention to always keep the "big picture" (pun intended :wink: ) in mind.

But that's just my preferred method of working. If your method of working is different, then it's simply different, and you'll want different features.
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

If I want to continue my work later, then I would just send windows to sleep.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:If I want to continue my work later, then I would just send windows to sleep.
...not really an option for me: I have 48gb memory, and sleep mode uses a major chunk of my SSD raid PCI card.