How to reduce the layer handles?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Simon
Mitglied

How to reduce the layer handles?

Beitrag von Simon »

Hi,

I want to reduce the layer handles because they are indeed huge and invasive.
I know you can totally hide them, but you lost their functionality when you do this. What I want is to keep them away of the object, as most programs do.

Thank you
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: How to reduce the layer handles?

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 04:51I want to reduce the layer handles because they are indeed huge and invasive.
I am sorry, but there is no UI option to change the handle size.
Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 04:51I know you can totally hide them, but you lost their functionality when you do this.
You can turn them on/off by using the corresponding shortcut (Ctrl+6 on Windows, Cmd+6 on macOS).
Simon hat geschrieben: Do 07 Feb 2019 04:51What I want is to keep them away of the object, as most programs do.
I just searched for screenshots of other applications and most of them draw the handles with a similar size and at the same position.

Martin
Simon
Mitglied

Beitrag von Simon »

I just searched for screenshots of other applications and most of them draw the handles with a similar size and at the same position.
First I want to thank you for your help.
Second, I do not want to start a discussion, neither promote other programs, but to improve PL. For this reason I wonder what SW did you see. Xara Designer Pro X and Inkscape has non invasive handlers (the first is the best solution for me). I know others do and I do not like it because you have to Zoom when the handles blocks the "layer", specially with a text.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Applications like Illustrator and Blender have an option to change the size of the handles and control points from tiny to quite big ones (larger than the ones now in PhotoLine). Since this is such as personal preference, I would welcome a user preference setting myself.

And often I find myself having issues with working with more complex vector illustrations because the control points' size obscure the paths too much, and I always used to adjust the layer control point and handle sizes in those cases.

Compared to Inkscape, the ones in PhotoLine are twice as big, and Inkscape also uses better control point indicators to tell the user what kind of bezier control point it is. Edited points are temporarily indicated by larger versions, which is quite handy too.

The bezier handles are opaque instead of hollow compared to Inkscape, and the same size as the control points in PhotoLine (in Inkscape those handles are smaller).

Anyway, definitely room for improvement in PhotoLine. But I do like the red highlight colour more in PhotoLine.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

I wish "Show Layer Handles" kept its value after restarting PhotoLine.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mo 11 Feb 2019 02:45 I wish "Show Layer Handles" kept its value after restarting PhotoLine.
Yes, it only hinders.
For example, if you drag a layer to another image, with the "layer handles" enabled,
PL starts to slow down.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

• We added an option to setup the handle size in the beta version.
  • We don't want to keep the handles invisible, because most of our users would have problems with it. I think I am a power user and didn't need this feature in the past.
  • For example, if you drag a layer to another image, with the "layer handles" enabled,
    PL starts to slow down.
    I never got this effect, if you have a repeatable way to produce a problem, please send this.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Di 16 Apr 2019 17:19
  • We added an option to setup the handle size in the beta version.
  • We don't want to keep the handles invisible, because most of our users would have problems with it. I think I am a power user and didn't need this feature in the past.
  • For example, if you drag a layer to another image, with the "layer handles" enabled,
    PL starts to slow down.
    I never got this effect, if you have a repeatable way to produce a problem, please send this.
I don't always get it, probably something is happening in the system. So, after learning to open the picture, I’ve already learned to press Ctrl + 6 to avoid problems. I wanted this mode to be fixed. Still in the list of layers, the Lock Position button is pressed all the time, it does not allow using the Layer Tool for this purpose.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

gennadiy hat geschrieben: Mo 22 Apr 2019 13:38I’ve already learned to press Ctrl + 6 to avoid problems. I wanted this mode to be fixed.
I don't think that users would be happy with such an option. Most users do want the handles and if they stay hidden, they can't find how to turn it on.
gennadiy hat geschrieben: Mo 22 Apr 2019 13:38Still in the list of layers, the Lock Position button is pressed all the time, it does not allow using the Layer Tool for this purpose.
The move protection button is pressed for flat pictures. That's useful since it is not intended to move the background layer in this case.
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Di 23 Apr 2019 08:02 I don't think that users would be happy with such an option. Most users do want the handles and if they stay hidden, they can't find how to turn it on.

The move protection button is pressed for flat pictures. That's useful since it is not intended to move the background layer in this case.
As it seems to me, this is all from the category of options for customization.

And in my opinion, this is rather a layer copy operation, rather than moving within a single image,
although of course you can make and copy/paste.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

How often does anyone need layer handles for adjustment layers? To me, they are just in the way and serve no purpose, and I always have to turn them off. Is it possible to permanently hide them separately for adjustment layers, as opposed to image and text layers?
gennadiy
Mitglied

Beitrag von gennadiy »

Pixel Mode (Ctrl + 1) or Show Layer Frames (Ctrl + 4) can be switched on and off "with fixation". The remaining options from View menu also logically fit this category of view options.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Di 23 Apr 2019 14:47 How often does anyone need layer handles for adjustment layers? To me, they are just in the way and serve no purpose, and I always have to turn them off.
I don't understand the problem. The layer handles are only visible, if the layer tool is active. And isn't the major purpose of that tool to manipulate the size or position of a layer? And these are operations where handles are useful/needed.
russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Di 23 Apr 2019 14:47Is it possible to permanently hide them separately for adjustment layers, as opposed to image and text layers?
I just can think of a logic similar to the background layer. If an image layer is move-protected and has the same size as the document, the handles will be hidden. But adjustment layers aren't move-protected by default.

Martin