Simon
Mitglied

How placeholders work?

Post by Simon » Thu 07 Feb 2019 05:19

Hi,

Do you know how the placehorders works?
From the manual:
"6.2.11 Placeholder Layer
The Placeholder Layer tool is used to create placeholder layers (see chapter 2.3.7). In the Tool Settings the option Show File Panel allows you to choose whether a file is inserted directly after creation."

In chapter 2.3.7 is mentioned a "Placeholder Layer tool" but there is not a way to find it or how to use it but by going to chapter 6.2.11 that tells to search the "Tool Settings the option Show File Panel " but neither explains where is it.

Thank you.

Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: How placeholders work?

Post by Martin Huber » Thu 07 Feb 2019 10:53

The Placeholder Layer tool is at the same place as the the vector shape tools. A long click opens a list and it is there at the bottom.
PlaceholderTool.png
Its position in indirectly given by its following tool: the text tool.

Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon
Mitglied

Post by Simon » Thu 07 Feb 2019 17:36

Thank you very much.

It would take me a few years to find it by myself, as I found the Measurement Tool from the Magnifier ones. :D

Herbert123
Mitglied

Post by Herbert123 » Mon 11 Feb 2019 00:29

Another method is to click the "New Layer" button at the bottom of the layer panel, and select "Placeholder layer" from the drop-down list.

Or switch to the Layer tool (Q), hold down the <CTRL> key, and click OR drag in the document/canvas: this creates a new layer, and the type of layer can be picked from that same drop-down list.

To convert a selection of one or more layers/groups to a placeholder layer, use the menu bar Layout-->Placeholder-->Create from Layer.
Which perhaps should be renamed to "Create From Selected Layer(s)" for more clarity.

I generally keep the Layer panel open at all times, and convert selected layers to Placeholder layers with the Type drop-down. Or use the Layer-->Convert Layer Type menu option.

To create linked placeholder layers, drag an image file or PhotoLine file into the document while holding down the <OPTION> key.

I would welcome an additional entry in the right-mouse click contextual menu when right-mouse clicking a selection of layers to convert to a Placeholder layer. To me Placeholder are pretty much identical to Photoshop's Smart Objects, and Placeholder layers have an important enough status to warrant that.

I agree that the Placeholder tool should be moved from the vector object list. A placeholder is not a vector object, in my opinion, and a unique important tool.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait