Why Photoline?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
skip
Mitglied

Why Photoline?

Post by skip » Wed 10 Apr 2019 20:11

My wife and I are retired. We find that photography as a hobby is increasingly becoming a part of our lives. Additionally, my spouse has a passion for greeting card design.

During a past life, we extensively used Publisher, Photoshop, Gimp, Paintshop Pro, etc. for marketing purposes while operating a retail venture. I am currently using Darktable, Gimp, and Inkscape. My wife operates using Affinity products.

I have been aware of Photoline for years and have been fascinated by the passion demonstrated by its adherents on photography forums. Also, I've been impressed with the consistent depth of graphic knowledge that many members of this forum seem to possess.

Currently, there are many apparently competent free and moderately priced options available for almost any graphic purpose. I am curious why any Photoline user made that software choice. I am aware that, unlike almost anything else available except Photoshop, Photoline can operate on raster, vector, raw, etc. with a remarkably full toolkit. Perhaps that's the main attraction. Why did you chose Photoline as your primary or as a significant graphic solution?

Over the years, I've read a number of discussions in which it's been asserted that Photoline does many things, but few well. It's handling of raw files is often used as an example. Obviously, members of this forum disagree with such an assessment. Nonetheless, do you find the app in its current iteration significantly uneven in its handling of various tasks?

What is your assessment of Photoline when used primarily for photographic adjustment and correction?

Please do not take this post as a Photoline criticism. That is far from the truth. It is most impressive that such a complex program is the product of two developers. I am, however, genuinely interested in your reasons for making this choice. The program is demanding enough that a causal thirty day trial would probably create confusion more than anything else for someone such as myself with only a rudimentary understanding of many of the graphic principles involved.

Thanks in advance for your input.

bruce1951
Mitglied

Re: Why Photoline?

Post by bruce1951 » Thu 11 Apr 2019 00:34

OK I'll try to put my move to Photoline as simple as I can.

I was a long time user of PSP. Way back in the Jasc days up until PSPx8. PSP became more bloated and slow without out much gain between versions. So I started to look around for alternatives. A few web pages convinced me to give it a go. Here's one that influenced me. https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/1600 ... photoshop/ scroll down and read Herbert123's post. (Herbert123 visits this forum).
PL down loads as just 20+megs. And will work from a memory stick. Good price.

But most importantly for me PL allows me to have a full tool box. It allows external programs and plugins which mean I can use PL and flip back and forth to other tools without any drama. (Other than user issues :( ). Also much of the above web page from Herbert123 is also important with PL's flexibility.

The authors of PL watch this site and I very good at helping. They are also open to fixing bugs and making changes. Something most/many other companies are unprepared to do.

It's a bit 'different' with terminology etc but it's worth the learning curve.

bruce

russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell » Thu 11 Apr 2019 06:34

What is your assessment of Photoline when used primarily for photographic adjustment and correction?
The best. Do it. http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/PhotoLine/

The stargazerslounge link above pretty much says it all. I left that other program because of the licensing issues, and now use PhotoLine for photo editing because in a number of ways it is better. (I am not much into graphic arts.) The Lab and saturation curves, and color filters, by themselves are worth it. And I have plugins that I can’t do without, and they work in PhotoLine. I still use the other program for printing, and sometimes scripting but PhotoLine is catching up. I use specialized programs for raw development, panoramas, and HDR, but the photo editing is all done in PhotoLine.

iosoio
Mitglied

Post by iosoio » Tue 16 Apr 2019 22:32

My wife and I are retired. We find that photography as a hobby is increasingly becoming a part of our lives. Additionally, my spouse has a passion for greeting card design.
Enjoy your well-deserved retirement! And welcome to the phantasmagoric but, unfortunately, the more and more vulgarized world of Photography. The same goes for Cinema, anyway.
Currently, there are many apparently competent free and moderately priced options available for almost any graphic purpose. I am curious why any Photoline user made that software choice. I am aware that, unlike almost anything else available except Photoshop, Photoline can operate on raster, vector, raw, etc. with a remarkably full toolkit. Perhaps that's the main attraction. Why did you chose Photoline as your primary or as a significant graphic solution?
Say You don't use a software only because the others do, and dislike the subscription model of the mainstream software houses;
You don't think in stereotypes (but you do think a lot).
You do not bleat like sheep.
If so, you are a serious candidate to become a Photoline user.

Given that, I agree with you that there are some great competitors, and I agree with you the way Photoline handles raw files isn't the best: If I were the developers I'd also split the program in two parts (and compile a Linux version like Vuescan) but that's a different story and totally up to them.

On the other side Photoline is a compact and fast, consistent, not at all bloated application with many tools that are very precise. For example I love the selections ones. I am a kind of an old fashion man who think that curves could almost always do the job. Does anybody remember Dan Margulis?

In the end, You have the freedom to choose, and this already is an act of creativity...

Bye
Papa, Papa, ich möchte ein Clown sein, wenn ich groß bin.
Bravo, sag deiner Mutter, sie soll dich nach Italien bringen, um als Richterin zu lernen!