Hidden folders

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Hidden folders

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

I sometimes use external apps from PL and the normal process is for the image to be saved in the Mac hidden temporary folder (/private/var/.../T) with a temporary name and then have that file sent to the external app for processing. When the app saves that file and exists it is then loaded back into PL for further processing. All of this works well unless the external app does not allow me to use the actual file name or suffix when saving it, and then I get a second temporary file in the T directory and, of course, PL does not load it because it does not have the right name.

I have all hidden folders on my Mac displayed so I can use Finder to go to the T folder, find the image, right-click and have PL load it if necessary but it would be nice if there was some way to get the PL Browse window to display hidden folders so I could just use it (the Browse window) to load the image, but I have not found any way to get the Browse window to display hidden folders. Is this a limitation? Or am I (again) missing something?

I have already used the command sequence to display hidden folders for Finder but that does not seem to work for the PL Browse window and I have not found any Preference setting or Browse window icon to display hidden folders.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Hidden folders

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

You can't directly access system folders like "/private" in the Browse window.

But you can create a link to a system folder inside an accessable folder by dragging the system folder to the accessable folder while pressing Command+Alt in Finder. Now you can view the content of the system folder through that other folder.

However, I don't know if this is useful in practice.
Maybe in this situation, it is better to save to a more common place from within the external app.

Martin
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> But you can create a link to a system folder inside an accessable folder by dragging the system folder to the accessable folder while pressing Command+Alt in Finder.

Yes. This is essentially how I access it in Finder, and I thought about doing this for PL as well, but thought I might just be missing some option in the Browse window or in the Preferences settings.

> Maybe in this situation, it is better to save to a more common place from within the external app.

That will probably be easier than what I am doing now, which is using Finder and right-clicking to open the image in PL.

Thank you for your responses.
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Fr 14 Jan 2022 19:02 That will probably be easier than what I am doing now, which is using Finder and right-clicking to open the image in PL.
You could use "Open" dialog and type command+shift+G, and then write the path you want to open. The function remembers the last 5 paths, so if you use it only for few paths, you don't need to write this every time.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> You could use "Open" dialog and type command+shift+G, and then write the path you want to open.

Thanks, but it is a long and complicated path:

/private/var/folders/vl/hrv78yh96xxfx4dhmz13kyg40000gn/T on my system

and since I only need to use it occasionally I might be in the position of having to type it in repeatedly. The Alias suggestion is probably the easiest way to avoid the pain and that is what I have done.
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Fr 14 Jan 2022 22:32 The Alias suggestion is probably the easiest way to avoid the pain and that is what I have done.
If the path won't change, and you don't use "command+shift+G" in many other cases, you don't need to type the path every time, because macOS rememberers the last five paths. But obviously you are free to use whichever method you prefer... eventually both. :wink:
P.S.: you could also create a system shortcut for your path. System Preferences > keyboard > Text. 8)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9197ydji8pdn ... 5.png?dl=0
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> because macOS rememberers the last five paths.

Sure, but since I have to do this only rarely I have usually used more than 5 new paths before I have to access the T folder again and OSX has lost the path, and that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned how rarely I need to access the temporary folder.

I will look into the other suggestion to see if that helps, so thanks.

UPDATE:

OK. So I have setup a shortcut to the T folder, but I don't see how to use it in the Browse Window. I can use it in Finder, but I already have a link to the T folder setup in the Finder sidebar, so that does not help. How do I use the shortcut in the PL Browse window?
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

MikeFromMesa hat geschrieben: Sa 15 Jan 2022 16:34 OK. So I have setup a shortcut to the T folder, but I don't see how to use it in the Browse Window.
Writing it in "Go to..." dialog. But probably you'll be better with the alias way. It's your choice.
But I'm not sure you agree that you can use "Go to..." (command+shift+G) from any macOS browse window (open or save dialog). Not in PhotoLine Browser. This is PhotoLine Open... dialog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xkjfdne5urx ... 0.png?dl=0
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Sa 15 Jan 2022 17:46 Writing it in "Go to..." dialog. But probably you'll be better with the alias way. It's your choice.
But I'm not sure you agree that you can use "Go to..." (command+shift+G) from any macOS browse window (open or save dialog). Not in PhotoLine Browser. This is PhotoLine Open... dialog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xkjfdne5urx ... 0.png?dl=0
When I wrote of the Browse Window I was referring to the PL Browse Window, not Finder. I already have the T folder listed with a shortcut in the Finder sidebar so using the Go To functionality is really just extra work for me.

My problem all along has been how to get to the hidden folder in the PhotoLine Browse window, and the alias that I have added to the location where I keep my photos to be processed works very well.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I did learn something about using the shortcuts, so it was helpful even though I am now using the alias.