create a windows icon file from an MSWord clipart file, how?

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
woznotwoz

create a windows icon file from an MSWord clipart file, how?

Beitrag von woznotwoz »

I have a clipart image that I'm using on a web site. I have been able to convert it to a png file to use as a little icon that appears near the URL when the site is viewed in some browsers. But other browsers require an icon file, which is a microsoft convention.

I have tried to employ the techniques given on the PL32 Tutorial page, without success, to get a vector image from the clipart file. I am thinking that would be my first step.

I can open the file in PS32 and crop it. Then I follow the directions for getting a vector image from a drawing. But when I convert it to a vector image the part I cropped is back again, which is a mystery to me.

Your help will be very much appreciated.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

I have a clipart image that I'm using on a web site. I have been able to convert it to a png file to use as a little icon that appears near the URL when the site is viewed in some browsers. But other browsers require an icon file, which is a microsoft convention.

I have tried to employ the techniques given on the PL32 Tutorial page, without success, to get a vector image from the clipart file. I am thinking that would be my first step.

I can open the file in PS32 and crop it. Then I follow the directions for getting a vector image from a drawing. But when I convert it to a vector image the part I cropped is back again, which is a mystery to me.

Your help will be very much appreciated.
As far as I know MS Word cliparts are already vector graphics.
Basically I would proceed this way:
- Import the clipart (you should get a window containing a single group)
- Scale the clipart proportionally to the destination size using the menu command "Layer/Scale Layer" (usually 16 or 32).
- Now save the document using "File/Save As..." as Windows Icon for example "test.ico". Depending on your settings PL32 may inform you of some adjustments, that it needs to do in order to save the vector graphics as icon.
- The result should be a valid Windows icon. You can test this by viewing the file in the WIndows Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Martin