Giving PhotoLine icons some touch

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bkh
Betatester

Re: Giving PhotoLine icons some touch

Beitrag von bkh »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:PS: By the way, Adam, your name has special meaning for us Australians. We're possibly the only Anglophones who can faultlessly spell Strzelecki. Thank you Pawel Edmund! And Kosciusko! Thank you again, Pawel! :)
Btw., the mountain and National Park in Australia are spelled Kosciuszko (since 1997, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kosciuszko) which is closer to the original spelling: Kościuszko :mrgreen:

Cheers

Burkhard.
addison
Mitglied

Beitrag von addison »

BTW, not to get off-topic, but there's also a Kosciusko, Mississippi. :wink:

Lovin' the icons, guys...
greenmorpher
Mitglied

Beitrag von greenmorpher »

bkh hat geschrieben:
greenmorpher hat geschrieben:PS: By the way, Adam, your name has special meaning for us Australians. We're possibly the only Anglophones who can faultlessly spell Strzelecki. Thank you Pawel Edmund! And Kosciusko! Thank you again, Pawel! :)
Btw., the mountain and National Park in Australia are spelled Kosciuszko (since 1997, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kosciuszko) which is closer to the original spelling: Kościuszko :mrgreen:
Ah, nice catch, Burkhardt! LOL. :oops:

I learned to spell it in around 1950-51, I suppose. Old habits die hard. Now you mention it, I have a vague memory of the event but I was a bit preoccupied. At around that time I was campaigning (successfully) to stop the paper industry denuding the Strzelecki ranges of old growth forest and also campaigning for freedom for East Timor from Indonesian occupation (that finally worked in 1999).

Any excuse, eh?

Cheers, geoff
toyotadesigner
Mitglied

Beitrag von toyotadesigner »

ono hat geschrieben:Now, here's my idea for PhotoLine icon replacement:
Bild

Done entirely in PhotoLine 17 within 5 hours :). Full Mac icon available at http://www.nanoant.com/download/photoli ... oLine.icns
Thank you so much - this is better than anything I've ever seen before!

Finally an icon for the photographers of us :D
Das Schöne an Einweg-Kameras ist, dass ich mir die Modellbezeichnungen nicht merken muss.
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

toyotadesigner hat geschrieben:Finally an icon for the photographers of us :D
I agree, this one I like. Any chance to get it in PLD-Format - maybe here?
Thanks,
Andreas
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

Since many of PL users are used to the old icon (including me) I've decided to give old-good PL icon a chance, and just rework it a bit:

Bild

Download:
http://www.nanoant.com/download/photoli ... oLine.icns
http://www.nanoant.com/download/photoli ... toLine.ico
Well, it isn't just a name. Actually Paul Edmund is my family, not direct ancestor (he had no kids AFAIK), but kind of grand grand ... uncle. Btw. I was once in Oz, I wish I had opportunity to visit Australia again.
akeller hat geschrieben:(...)Any chance to get it in PLD-Format - maybe here?
I think it is very possible, but I need to think whether I am ready to reveal my secret techniques. Well I just need to cleanup the files before I post them ;)
Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com | CBCT/PET tomography engineer
addison
Mitglied

Beitrag von addison »

I couldn't resist playing with the PhotoLine startup and some of these new icons. We may have to redesign the website next... :wink:
PL-Splash-flowerlens.jpg
Great job on these, Adam.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

ono hat geschrieben:Since many of PL users are used to the old icon (including me) I've decided to give old-good PL icon a chance, and just rework it a bit:
I really like it a little evolution from the original logo :D

I´m just wondering one thing... is really necessary have the CMYK bar? it wouldn´t be enough to have it in the splash image? at the end the icon is just a symbol that do not require to show all the attributes of the software.

Cheers
Juan
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

addison hat geschrieben:Bild
I couldn't resist playing with the PhotoLine startup and some of these new icons. (...)
Awesome. I really like the placement and background gradient with subtle sun rays. Also the title is really nice. What is the title font?
addison hat geschrieben:(...) We may have to redesign the website next... :wink:
I do agree. Giving PL website pro look is necessary. The reason is IMHO simple: "if the website doesn't look great, it means you can't make great design with PhotoLine". This is obviously false, but many won't hesitate to validate that, so they will choose other products that have more attractive package & website.
Juan hat geschrieben:I´m just wondering one thing... is really necessary have the CMYK bar? (...)
I guess it isn't, but it makes the icon somehow different from the others and easily separable. Without the bar it would be just another like iTunes, Mac App Store one, so this bar makes the icon kinda unique.
akeller
Mitglied

Beitrag von akeller »

Adam,
ono hat geschrieben:What is the title font?
I understand that you are asking about the font of addison's picture.
If you are searching for more or less original PhotoLine lettering go here, I uploaded it as vector.

Andreas
addison
Mitglied

Beitrag von addison »

Also the title is really nice. What is the title font?
The font is Open Sans, available for free from Google Web Fonts. You can also get it from Font Squirrel: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/open-sans. Steve Matteson designed it, and he's known for well-crafted screen fonts, though this would surely perform well in print as well.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

addison hat geschrieben:I couldn't resist playing with the PhotoLine startup and some of these new icons. We may have to redesign the website next... :wink:
PL-Splash-flowerlens.jpg
Excellent extensions on Adam's work, addison. I really like the addition of the type element in the lens -- if made a little stronger, that would show up in the icon on screen. Except that rather than just "A", it might be better to be "PL". Or not! :lol:

Problem is, we're spinning our wheels here. Check out the votes for and against. Not only are more people not wanting to change, the total number of people shows virtually zilch interest kn the issue -- at least on the international (i.e. English speaking) audience. Which also says something about the total number of English speakers there are on the forum and that in turn would reflect a limited number of customers for PL overall. :?

Well, I keep trying to promote PL.

Cheers, geoff
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

greenmorpher hat geschrieben:
addison hat geschrieben:Problem is, we're spinning our wheels here. Check out the votes for and against. Not only are more people not wanting to change, the total number of people shows virtually zilch interest kn the issue -- at least on the international (i.e. English speaking) audience.
Well, I guess that the number of votes reflects the number of people who regularly "hang out" on the PhotoLine forum. Most users only come here when they have some issue with PhotoLine. From that point of view, 54 votes total isn't bad. Plus, I haven't voted (yet), not because I am not interested in the discussion, but because I don't find any of these icons really convincing. (Two of them weren't even serious contenders, and I was a bit surprised not to see the white lens.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

addison hat geschrieben:Problem is, we're spinning our wheels here. Check out the votes for and against. Not only are more people not wanting to change, the total number of people shows virtually zilch interest kn the issue -- at least on the international (i.e. English speaking) audience.
Thanks to Gerhard, the latest beta has updated toolbar icons, so we have visible improvement.

As for program icon it is really enough for me that they caught the author's and other forum members' attention. Moreover it was great fun and opportunity to learn something new for me to create these.

After all I think that giving original icon slight touch is decent compromise. I've been using the latest "original reworked" one on my Dock for couple of days so far, and I find it least intrusive and well distinguishable. (The previous lens flower was kinda too colorful :P)
Finder.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
greenmorpher
Mitglied

ono hat geschrieben:After all I think that giving original icon slight touch is decent compromise. I've been using the latest "original reworked" one on my Dock for couple of days so far, and I find it least intrusive and well distinguishable. (The previous lens flower was kinda too colorful :P)
Well, I do prefer your flower lens, Adam. It happily resides in my toolbar and will continue to do so. :)

By the way, the English term is actually not one word by a phrase "touch up", so you might say you have given the icon a touch up. 8)

Cheers, geoff