Neue Testversion 18.40b19

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Neue Testversion 18.40b19

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

bkh hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Andreas87 hat geschrieben:Main issue I see is the time between clicking and activating the edit field. It takes too long so that you think that you did not hit the right place and click again (and again and again and again ...). My feeling tells me that the program reaction is almost 1 second and that's much too long.
After the click PhotoLine is waiting for a double-click. On Mac OS the double-click time is 0.5 s.
But you can double-click in the first place. This way you are avoiding the wait-time.
Just wondering: why doesn't editing mode start with just a single click, without the delay? Using my Wacom tablet, I also have the impression that sometimes a click doesn't work, possibly because I make (or don't make) a small pen movement afterwards. Using the mouse, I think I have to wait for the double click time set in the System Preferences unless I move the mouse cursor before (a slight mouse movement starts editing immediately – this is easy to observe if you set the double click speed to maximum). Of course, this is nothing specific to the Layer name field but probably applies to every text input field.

Cheers

Burkhard.
I agree with Burkhard - why not a simple single click? The checkmark boxes also work with a single-click. And in every OS and most other applications such input fields become active with a singe click as well.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Andreas87
Mitglied

Beitrag von Andreas87 »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben:
bkh hat geschrieben:
Martin Huber hat geschrieben:@Andreas87: "Main issue I see is the time between clicking and activating the edit field. It takes too long so that you think that you did not hit the right place and click again (and again and again and again ...). My feeling tells me that the program reaction is almost 1 second and that's much too long."

After the click PhotoLine is waiting for a double-click. On Mac OS the double-click time is 0.5 s.
But you can double-click in the first place. This way you are avoiding the wait-time.
Just wondering: why doesn't editing mode start with just a single click, without the delay? Using my Wacom tablet, I also have the impression that sometimes a click doesn't work, possibly because I make (or don't make) a small pen movement afterwards. Using the mouse, I think I have to wait for the double click time set in the System Preferences unless I move the mouse cursor before (a slight mouse movement starts editing immediately – this is easy to observe if you set the double click speed to maximum). Of course, this is nothing specific to the Layer name field but probably applies to every text input field.

Cheers

Burkhard.
I agree as well - if there are two ways to start the editing, then let's use the faster way only, i.e. the one-click method. E.g. like in excel: You click into the field and you can edit it. As the field is not such big, the user can still distinguish between an area for editing and an area just for layer activation or layer movement within the layer list.

I agree with Burkhard - why not a simple single click? The checkmark boxes also work with a single-click. And in every OS and most other applications such input fields become active with a singe click as well.
Hoogo
Betatester

Beitrag von Hoogo »

If only one click is needed for renaming, wouldn't that reduce the area for simple activation of the layer too much?
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Andreas87
Mitglied

Beitrag von Andreas87 »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:If only one click is needed for renaming, wouldn't that reduce the area for simple activation of the layer too much?
Something to discuss:
As the "Layer Properties" dialog was removed, there is no big need for double-clicking on the layer anymore. Nevertheless a double-clicking still seem to do something - I don't know whether this depends whether there is a kind of mouse movement between the two clicks. But sometimes during the double-click the edit field is opened and closed again. Sometimes I get a blue border in the "Layer Attributes" Panel.
So, if a very tiny mouse movement during the double click results already in a complete different behaviour, there is some improvement needed.

Let me make some proposals:
- Add a drag-start area (maybe between pictogram and title) for layer movements in the layer list
- Single-click on the title to edit the title, but will work only if the layer is selected before
- Single-click on the title or below of a not selected layer will only select this layer
- Double-click on the area below the title to activate the "Layer Attributes" Panel. This will be only used by the user if this Panel is hided by him.
- Maybe still a single-click below the title can start a layer movement in the layer list as well, if combined with a mouse movement afterwards
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Hoogo hat geschrieben:If only one click is needed for renaming, wouldn't that reduce the area for simple activation of the layer too much?
I meant a single click on the active layer. (You'd need one more click to activate it if it's inactive.) At the moment, if you double-click an inactive layer, the first click seems to activate it, and the second (immediately) starts editing. If the layer is already active and you single-click, there will be a delay (depending on the system double click speed). The main problem, imo, is that if you use a tablet and move the cursor out of the "Name" area within the double click interval, nothing at all will happen.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben:
Herbert123 hat geschrieben:One more bug, guide related:

- add four guides: two horizontal, and two vertical ones to create a rectangle.
- switch to pixel mode (ctrl-1).
- open the guide manager, and change each guide position to a round pixel value (no decimals)
- draw a rectangle, and snap all four sides to the guides. Set a stroke of 1px and a clear outline colour.
- turn on alignment (pixel snapping) in the layer panel

Now notice how the top and left edge DO NOT align within the guides. The 1px edge lies outside the guides:

(...)
I don't see the bug here. The path is aligned to the pixels, your guides are not, so the two have different positions.

Martin
I have attached an example file.

There are a couple of things that make it very difficult to work with precise pixels and output:

1) when anti-aliasing is turned off, and all the guides are placed to exact pixels (often by manually typing the values in the guide manager, because there is no other method to snap the guides to pixels) you get different looking results with layer alignment off. Although both shapes are aligned to the same (vertical) guides for some reason Photoline decides to create differently positioned strokes. Not only that, one of the shapes is "broken", and corner pixels are removed.

2) With layer alignment the issues described above are solved. Luckily there is a document alignment option. However, even with layer alignment turned on, two of the strokes fall outside the defined guides: the top and the left ones.

Which means when I want to prepare for web and mobile export, and I have to work with pixel precision, I cannot trust the guides. I cannot save the layers as files, because the dimensions would be 1 pixel too high and 1 pixel to wide. It means I have to manually reposition the top and left borders by one pixel inward, so the result is correct.

This also happens with other shapes: circles snapped to pixel precise guides suffer from the same problem, and it occurs whether anti-aliasing is turned off or on.

Worse, when I export these layers, and the layer properties tell me the shape is 100px by 100px, I end up with an exported result of 101px by 101px!

In short, the guides cannot be trusted for pixel precise work with vector shapes, hurting the workflow for both web and mobile/screen work in the process. And the dimensions of shapes with strokes can also not be trusted for pixel work. It becomes unworkable at times with many different elements... :(

PS another issue with straight line boxes that are aligned to pixel precise guides: the corner pixels take on a slightly lighter tint than the rest of the strokes. Granted, this can be turned off by turning off anti-aliasing - but still something to worry about when you need exact colours for the edges.
Untitled.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait