Feature request: Symmetrical shapes factory function

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
wmjordan
Mitglied

Feature request: Symmetrical shapes factory function

Beitrag von wmjordan »

I want to draw a quintuple shape like the shot.png shows.
shot.png
The five hearts should be placed around the circle symmetrically.
It is not so easy to calculate the math and place those shapes in place.
Is there some functions existing to help doing this type of tasks quickly?
If not, is it worthy making one to make pictures like sample.jpg easier?
sample.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von wmjordan am Mi 12 Okt 2016 09:34, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
bkh
Betatester

Re: Any feature to efficiently layout a quintuple symmetrical shape

Beitrag von bkh »

I'd create the shape on one transparent layer, set the rotation point appropriately, and then create four copies (even better: virtual copies) of the layer. In the layer attributes, set the rotation angle to 72° (= 360°/5), 2·72° = 144°, 216°, 288°. You can even type the formulas in the rotation box, so you don't even have to calculate the values by hand.

If you use virtual copies, you can paint one shape on the initial layer and copies of the shape will appear on the virtual copies, which makes editing easier. (Also works with vector layers and layer groups, in case you want to combine several layes or move the shape around.)

Cheers

Burkhard.
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Why is this general use question cluttering up the beta testing forum?
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done....
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

bkh hat geschrieben:Use rotation function, virtual copies and layer groups to make your life easier.
Thank you for your reply. In practical drawing, the above procedure only makes several rotated layers, we would still have to spend much time on placing those layers in the right place. If the requirement is changed, for instance, the boss may now think quintuple is not beautiful enough, he needs a septuple or ninefold, and think one of it could be much better. It could be painful to change.
photoken hat geschrieben:Why is this general use question cluttering up the beta testing forum?
I know this sounds stupid. I also know the method mentioned by @bkh above.

Have you ever seen how people use Illustrator during these years?
A function is sufficient and efficient enough to create such kind of symmetrical shapes in minutes, without manually calculating degrees, creating virtual copies, and figuring out the proper dispositions of those copies around an invisible center.
http://vectips.com/tips-and-tricks/live ... lustrator/
http://astutegraphics.com/blog/create-s ... lustrator/

The disposition is a very time consuming task. Please take a look at the following pictures the second link. With so many segments, it is never easy to place the virtual copies in their right places.
Bild
Bild

Couldn't this be a feature request to embrace the beauty of symmetry?
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

photoken hat geschrieben:Why is this general use question cluttering up the beta testing forum?
Emphasis added....
Ken
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

Ken is probably right that this isn't the right place for this discussion, maybe one of the moderators can move it to the general discussions forum?

Anyway,
This is just like the virtual copies method in PL.
wmjordan hat geschrieben: http://astutegraphics.com/blog/create-s ... lustrator/

The disposition is a very time consuming task. Please take a look at the following pictures the second link. With so many segments, it is never easy to place the virtual copies in their right places.
I don't understand the problem. The virtual copies can stay in place – just move the object to the right position. If you use a group, It's enough to create one template ever for the needed number of rotations. You could almost use PL's "Create Animation …" feature for this, just that it doesn't create virtual copies. If anything, it might be worth expanding the "Create Animation …" feature, maybe under a different name.
wmjordan hat geschrieben: Bild
That's not Illustrator, but a dedicated plugin. Btw., it's different from the example before in that it also uses reflections and automatically clips the original image. Of course, changing the number of segments on the fly isn't possible in PL, but for any given number of segments, it's also relatively easy to make a template in PL for this – the clipping makes this slightly more tricky.

Cheers

Burkhard.
dutchman
Mitglied

Re: Feature request: Symmetrical shapes factory function

Beitrag von dutchman »

@Ken: you're right.
I've made another discussion place, in order that all of the forumusers (not only betatester) can make a profit of it.
look here:
http://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5370
Regards
toni
photoken
Mitglied

Beitrag von photoken »

Thanks, toni! Much appreciated, and I think the new discussion thread will be valuable. :)
Ken
wmjordan
Mitglied

Beitrag von wmjordan »

Thank you all for the kind discussion.
dutchman
Mitglied

Beitrag von dutchman »

Hi wmjordan,
This ist - I guess exactly - what you are looking for.
In Tips and Tricks: Feature request: Symmetrical shapes factory function
Greetz
toni