PDF/A-1 export.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
borgo1971
Mitglied

PDF/A-1 export.

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

I'm a basic PhotoLine user, and even I know that every Photoline upgrades brings many important new futures, I'm still with version 19.5 because I won't use most of this new futures (like most of the existing...).
But there are some futures that I'd like to see in PhotoLine, and for which I will upgrade immediately. One of them is the ability to export PDF's in standard PDF/A-1a and PDF/A-1b.
Another future I'd like to see, I guess a Mac OS only future, is the ability do use "Browse..." button as drag&drop target (see image).
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
bkh
Betatester

Re: PDF/A-1 export.

Beitrag von bkh »

borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 11:46 I'm a basic PhotoLine user, and even I know that every Photoline upgrades brings many important new futures, I'm still with version 19.5 because I won't use most of this new futures (like most of the existing...).
But there are some futures that I'd like to see in PhotoLine, and for which I will upgrade immediately. One of them is the ability to export PDF's in standard PDF/A-1a and PDF/A-1b.
PL has PDF/A-1a and PDF/A3 export. Not sure if this started with PL 20.
borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 11:46 Another future I'd like to see, I guess a Mac OS only future, is the ability do use "Browse..." button as drag&drop target (see image).
In any case, you can press the "Browse …" button, then drag and drop the file/folder into the file list in the "Open File" dialogue to switch to the right folder. This means a few additional clicks, but it also works in Open … and Save … dialogues. It's a standard macOS feature, I believe, which I use all the time in all sorts of apps.

Cheers

Burkhard.
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

bkh hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 12:48 PL has PDF/A-1a and PDF/A3 export. Not sure if this started with PL 20.
No. I can't find PDF/A in PDF export options.... I tried again with PL20.54 demo. The options are the same I get in PL19, and I can choose only PDF/X1a and PDF/X3, that are not the same as PDF/A
bkh hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 12:48 In any case, you can press the "Browse …" button, then drag and drop the file/folder into the file list in the "Open File" dialogue to switch to the right folder. This means a few additional clicks,
I know I can do this. I know drag&drop on browse button is not a indispensable future. But it happens that I must repeat this many times, and in this case, it would be very useful avoid the few clicks and open other dialogs at all.
Frank10823
Mitglied

Beitrag von Frank10823 »

borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 14:27 No. I can't find PDF/A in PDF export options.... I tried again with PL20.54 demo. The options are the same I get in PL19, and I can choose only PDF/X1a and PDF/X3, that are not the same as PDF/A
Hi,

please have a look at pdf-Export color Space.There is an option PDF/x1a
PLversion 20.X

Frank
Frank
bkh
Betatester

Beitrag von bkh »

borgo1971 hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 14:27
bkh hat geschrieben: Mo 23 Apr 2018 12:48 PL has PDF/A-1a and PDF/A3 export. Not sure if this started with PL 20.
No. I can't find PDF/A in PDF export options.... I tried again with PL20.54 demo. The options are the same I get in PL19, and I can choose only PDF/X1a and PDF/X3, that are not the same as PDF/A
Oops, sorry, I somehow misread PDF/A as PDF/X.

Cheers

Burkhard.
Frank10823
Mitglied

Beitrag von Frank10823 »

I do the same, I somehow misread PDF/A as PDF/X.

Cheers Frank
Frank
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

PDF/A-1 is often the format asked for documents to send to Italian government office. They don't accept any other PDF format.
mwenz
Mitglied

Beitrag von mwenz »

There is more to accessible PDFs than the revision. The revision from whatever type of PDF to PDF/A (and its other designations). Making a tagged pdf hasn't been fully resolved by either Adobe or Quark (though QXP's is a bit better). Both need to be opened in Acrobat and things fixed.

Unless the Italian government isn't really picky about the quality of a tagged PDF, just adding the type to PL isn't going to cut it. It would pass the tests as regards being a PDF/A document, but without a lot of work re reading order, alt text for images, etc., etc., it wouldn't really be more useful than just doing the accessibility work in Acrobat to begin with.

My 2 cents...Mike
borgo1971
Mitglied

Beitrag von borgo1971 »

I didn't understand exactly what you mean. I can only say that PDF/A is very day more important for my work. PDF/A is a international standard
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/A), not only a Italian invention, so I guess it could be useful to other users, even not Italian.
I've found a procedure to covert PDF in PDF/A using ghostscript, but the file size grows and PDF/A looks not ever as the original PDF.
I know that LibreOffice can save files as PDF/A, but it's not the best software for handling some kinds of data...
mwenz
Mitglied

Beitrag von mwenz »

My point is that PDF/A-1 is not just a PDF revision format.

There needs to be other things added into PhotoLine to support PDF/A-1 specifications. Such as some manner to set the reading order. And to add ALT text to images so screen readers can let a person with vision impairment know what the picture is about. And much more.

For people like yourself needing to supply accessible PDFs, I do support the request. But it isn't an easy task to add this function and actually be able to export a proper PDF/A-1 (or any of the newer Accessible PDF formats).

Mike