Scripting issues

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
russellcottrell
Mitglied
Scripting issues

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

Hello; I have been trying to work with scripting; than you very much for implementing it. A few thoughts; I apologize if they have been addressed elsewhere but I couldn’t find much about it.

May I propose Javascript as the “standard” scripting language? It is cross-platform, and seems better to me than “VB Script for Windows and Apple Script for Mac.” I am a Windows user and I never use VB Script, even in active server pages. I thought I saw some .js files somwhere, maybe when I installed a beta; but I seem to have lost them.

Here is a simple .js file:

Code: Alles auswählen

var pl = new ActiveXObject("PhotoLine.application");
var doc = pl.ActiveDocument;

if(doc != null)
  doc.DoOperation("Scale", "Mode", 2, "ValueX", 200, "ValueY", 200, "Interpolation", 5);

pl = null;
I have tried some other operations with mixed success. For example, according to the (VBS) documentation, this should return an array of strings, but I can’t tell that it does:

var docArray = pl.OpenDialog();

It would help if the alert() function were implemented; it is hard to debug scripts without it.

I could not find a way to create a layer; doc.LayerArray.Insert() does not work.

A number of other operations would be useful; I can’t find any documentation for them:
-set the foreground/background color
-select a rectangle
-fill the selection with color
-change document size
-rotate document
-flatten image

Also, being able to open a dialog to accept user input would be handy.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Re: Scripting issues

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Javascript is supported as well. The v20 beta versions included JS examples as well

JS:
var pl = new ActiveXObject("PhotoLine.application");
var doc = pl.ActiveDocument;
var page;

pl.Visible = 1;

if(doc != null)
{
page = doc.ActivePage;
if (page != null)
{
var layer = page.RootLayer.First;
while (layer != null)
{
// 1 means Image (PhotoLine.LayerType.LTImage)
if (layer.Type == 1)
layer.DoOperation("Dither", "RasterSize", 32, "Angle", 0);
layer = layer.next;
}
}
}

VB:

Dim pl
Dim doc
Dim page
Dim layer

Set pl = CreateObject("PhotoLine.Application")
Set doc = pl.ActiveDocument

pl.Visible = True

If Not doc Is Nothing Then
For Each page In doc
Set layer = page.RootLayer.First
While (Not layer Is Nothing)
' 1 means Image (PhotoLine.LayerType.LTImage)
If (layer.Type = 1) Then
layer.DoOperation "Dither", "RasterSize", 32, "Angle", 0
End If
Set layer = layer.Next
wend
Next
End If
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Do 13 Sep 2018 07:54 Javascript is supported as well. The v20 beta versions included JS examples as well
Javascript works, but we don't support it. VBS on Windows and AppleScript on macOS are the only supported scripting languages at the moment.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mi 12 Sep 2018 22:38var docArray = pl.OpenDialog();
This returns a COM SAFERARRAY. In JScript it has to be converted to an JScript array by

var jscriptArray = VBArray(docArray).toArray();

See:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/david. ... afe-array/
russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mi 12 Sep 2018 22:38It would help if the alert() function were implemented; it is hard to debug scripts without it.
You can use:

var msgBox = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
msgBox.Popup("text");
russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Mi 12 Sep 2018 22:38I could not find a way to create a layer; doc.LayerArray.Insert() does not work.
There should be some samples in Scripting folder, that create new layers:
- AdjustmentWithGradient
- NewVector
- TextNewWithPageNumber

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Hello, and thank you for the feedback. One little glitch is that .js runs in Wine, .vbs doesn't. I used winetricks to install wsh57, vcrun6, and vb6run; I can run a simple "Hello, world." script with wscript; but the .vbs scripts still do not run in PhotoLine. Can you suggest anything else, other dependencies that are needed?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Fr 14 Sep 2018 05:27 Hello, and thank you for the feedback. One little glitch is that .js runs in Wine, .vbs doesn't. I used winetricks to install wsh57, vcrun6, and vb6run;
I am not a Wine expert, but according to what i found that should be sufficient.
russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Fr 14 Sep 2018 05:27I can run a simple "Hello, world." script with wscript; but the .vbs scripts still do not run in PhotoLine. Can you suggest anything else, other dependencies that are needed?
The built-in scripts don't work either? For example "AdjustmentWithGradient"?

I think it's strange that JScript is working, but VBScript isn't.

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Hello; I have been able to convert just about everything I have from VBScript to JavaScript, with one exception. There is no prompt dialog for user input in JavaScript scripting. (Which is something of an outrage.) I have read that it is possible to call the VBScript function InputBox from JavaScript, but I have been unable to do it. Do you know a way, or some other way to get user input? Thank you . . . .
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Do 29 Nov 2018 09:31 Hello; I have been able to convert just about everything I have from VBScript to JavaScript, with one exception. There is no prompt dialog for user input in JavaScript scripting. (Which is something of an outrage.) I have read that it is possible to call the VBScript function InputBox from JavaScript, but I have been unable to do it. Do you know a way, or some other way to get user input? Thank you . . . .
Yes, these days there doesn't seem to be a way to display an input box easily.
With 32 bit one could "embed" VBScript code in JScript and thus using VBScript's InputBox by using ScriptControl. But Microsoft didn't bother to update it to 64 bit :-(

I will check the effort to offer an InputBox function via PhotoLine.

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Thank you for the assistance. This may be a long shot, but . . . I have been using the QtWeb browser to open .htm documents for user input. It is small, just a 7.5MB .exe that can go into the PhotoLine folder and be referenced by scripts very easily. It is also open source. I don’t suppose there is a way to integrate a little browser like this into PhotoLine? It would have fewer requirements than a full browser; no bookmarks, antivirus, etc., just an html interface and javascript. So it could pass the user input directly back to a script, and serve as a custom dialog box.
mwenz
Mitglied

Beitrag von mwenz »

The reason an application such as InDesign is able to make such wonderful dialog boxes that accept and pass along user input in JavaScript is the use of the ExtendScript API. ES also obviates the inherent issues with JavaScript as it can interact with the entire DOM.

I don't use PL's scripting. I only use PL for "simple" image manipulation. As such, I have no idea whether PL's JS is ECMA based or not and as such have no idea how easily it can be extended to incorporate user input dialogs as ECMA only has a simple dialog system by design.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

mwenz hat geschrieben: Fr 30 Nov 2018 16:56As such, I have no idea whether PL's JS is ECMA based or not and as such have no idea how easily it can be extended to incorporate user input dialogs as ECMA only has a simple dialog system by design.
PhotoLine doesn't have a built-in language, but offers a COM interface on Windows. Any language supporting COM can be used to communicate with PhotoLine. So for example it is no problem to write a C# or VB.net application performing certain tasks.

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

I finally tried scripting on a Mac. Does javascript work? I couldn't get it to see .js files.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Fr 11 Jan 2019 23:16 I finally tried scripting on a Mac. Does javascript work? I couldn't get it to see .js files.
There is JavaScript for Automation (JXA), but from what I've been reading, it is inferior to AppleScript, and I've never used it.
Both - AppleScript and JXA - are created using the Script Editor (an Apple application).

Martin
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Is there a way to convert the applescript properties and methods ("active layer", "first child", "do operation", etc.) into javascript? The usual ones do not work.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: So 13 Jan 2019 20:30 Is there a way to convert the applescript properties and methods ("active layer", "first child", "do operation", etc.) into javascript? The usual ones do not work.
The properties should be straightforward: activeLayer, firstChild. Commands are a different thing. Basically it is doOperation, but I don't know the correct way of transferring the layer object.
That being said: I just tried translating an AppleScript script to JXA, and it didn't work. JXA is simply missing too much and is lacking documentation. I recommend against using it.

Martin
Antworten