Inconsistent Lens Correction Behavior

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
mojosam
Mitglied

Inconsistent Lens Correction Behavior

Beitrag von mojosam »

When I open a RAW file (Olympus .ORF) in PhotoLine, I can go to Filter > Digital Camera > Lens Correction to bring up the Lens Correction dialog. The LensFun tab recognizes my camera and lens and corrects the distortion just fine.

If I process the RAW file first in Raw Photo Processor and export from there as a TIFF and open that in PhotoLine, the lens correction does not work at all. The name of my camera and lens show up on the LensFun tab, so that information is still in the metadata.

If I do a Web Export as a JPEG and open that JPEG in PhotoLine, the lens correction only partially works. The amount of correction is much less than PL does to the raw file. Again, the camera and lens names show up on the LensFun tab, so that metadata is still there.

Does anybody know what is going on? I would like to be able to process the RAW first in RPP, but I would still like to be able to fully correct the lens.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Inconsistent Lens Correction Behavior

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Which version of PhotoLine are you using? 21.01 doesn't decode the lens information with my sample ORFs here. It works with the Beta version though.

I just downloaded Raw Photo Processor and tried a sample ORF file. If I export the TIFF as "RGB TIFF 16-bit (sRGB)" and check "copy tags" in RPP, Lens Correction/Lensfun applies the same correction to the raw and to the TIFF in PhotoLine Beta.
If I process the RAW file first in Raw Photo Processor and export from there as a TIFF and open that in PhotoLine, the lens correction does not work at all. The name of my camera and lens show up on the LensFun tab, so that information is still in the metadata.
It's not just the camera and lens type. For lens correction xrop and focal length are important, too. If they are differnt, you will get a different result.

Martin
mojosam
Mitglied

Beitrag von mojosam »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do 30 Mai 2019 11:22 Which version of PhotoLine are you using? 21.01 doesn't decode the lens information with my sample ORFs here.
I'm using 21.01. It does (small but noticeable) lens correction on my ORFs if I open them directly in PhotoLine.
Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Do 30 Mai 2019 11:22 If I export the TIFF as "RGB TIFF 16-bit (sRGB)" and check "copy tags" in RPP, Lens Correction/Lensfun applies the same correction to the raw and to the TIFF in PhotoLine Beta.
I just tested a couple of the RGB export options in Raw Photo Processor. The lens correction does work on those files in PL. I discovered that it is apparently only files exported as Lab TIFF 16-bit where the lens correction fails. Does that mean that RPP's Lab export files are somehow improper? Does PL have an obscure bug that prevents it from lens correcting a Lab file?
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

mojosam hat geschrieben: Do 30 Mai 2019 21:08Does PL have an obscure bug that prevents it from lens correcting a Lab file?
The lens correction includes chromatic aberration, and that works only with RGB images.

Martin
mojosam
Mitglied

Beitrag von mojosam »

Martin Huber hat geschrieben: Fr 31 Mai 2019 21:16 The lens correction includes chromatic aberration, and that works only with RGB images.
Oh! Are there any other transformations that only work on RGB? I export from RPP in Lab, because it's the biggest color space and because I do most/all of my color correcting in it.

I know each layer can have its own color space. I'm not currently printing, but isn't there a bit of a cost to go from Lab to RGB and then to CMYK when you're about to print?
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

Not all software can handle Lab files, and those that can often cannot do everything with them (the above is a case in point). To be on the safe side, it may be better to save RGB files, even if you do a lot of editing in Lab. ProPhoto is a pretty good approximation to Lab, and I don’t think it will make any practical difference anytime soon, in printing or whatever. RGB-Lab-RGB is a minimal-cost conversion while editing, and you will be assured that your files will always work.
mojosam
Mitglied

Beitrag von mojosam »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Fr 31 Mai 2019 22:56 it may be better to save RGB files, even if you do a lot of editing in Lab. ProPhoto is a pretty good approximation to Lab
That seems like the pragmatic approach. I will still export Lab from RPP. That's the biggest color space, and PL can understand it. I'll then convert it to ProPhoto. That's probably still bigger than I'll need.

Some people are freaked out by ProPhoto. I just did some reading about that. They're worried about banding. Apparently that's more of a theoretical problem than a real one. I'm not selling fine art prints (applying the term "fine art" to my work is ridiculous anyway), so I'm guessing I won't encounter it. My Olympus only gives me 12 bits of data, though. I don't know if that increases my odds of banding. I guess I'll worry about that if/when it occurs. There are probably too many real things in life to worry about.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

If you are not getting banding with Lab, I don’t know why you would get it with ProPhoto.
mojosam
Mitglied

Beitrag von mojosam »

russellcottrell hat geschrieben: Sa 01 Jun 2019 03:51 If you are not getting banding with Lab, I don’t know why you would get it with ProPhoto.
I'm new to Lab. I'm also new to serious photo editing. I was previously happy with just cropping and tweaking in GraphicConverter. That never stressed my bits.