Black point

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
bruce1951
Mitglied

Black point

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I want to make some fine Black point adjustments but can't find a Black point feature in PL.
Is there a work around other than 'playing' with Histogram correction?

thanks
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Black point

Beitrag von shijan »

Histogram correction seems finally renamed to Levels in beta10 :)

Maybe i am not too deep in that tool yet but In Levels adjustment layer you have instant puppet picker which picks and crops per selected channel light areas (and dark areas if hold "shift" key). Sort of adwanced manual tool. Also you have auto option, sort of auto clip separately all channels.

In more classic and simple way you can pick black, white and grey points with curves adjustment layer (not sure why Levels tool don't have same pickers)

There is also very useful White Point adjustment layer which allow to pick grey and white points.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

Use Histogram/Levels, click the icon with the red dots below the preview window, then increase the left (dark) value until you see some red/violet or green pixels in the preview window. They indicate that you have passed the absolute black point.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Sorry but I don't see any 'red dots'. In fact I have no preview window!!!
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

der_fotograf described you a fully manual way to set black point.
There is a tiny preview window in every adjustment filter. You can open it by dragging side panel on the right edge. There is also a button thathighlight you extreme values. You can set color and strength of extreme values highlight in global program settings.
Bild

That tiny preview window is a part of legacy options came from old times and designed for slow computers. Currently you may just ignore that panel and use normal full sized image preview. Just click "show extreme values' in General tools panel and click eye icon in adjustment window.
Bild
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Way simpler and precise way is just select desired puppet tool area. And next use Curves tool puppet black point to pick black point on the image:
Bild
Bild
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks. I can see the 2 small vertical bars on the right. But no matter what I do I can't get the small preview window to open. What am I missing?
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

Click and drag the vertical bars to the left, and the preview window will open
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 13.02.15.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

der_fotograf hat geschrieben: Mo 13 Jan 2020 14:01 Click and drag the vertical bars to the left, and the preview window will open
... but only, if the dialog is wide enough to hold both the settings and the preview.

Martin
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Sorry guys but I can click and drag on those two small vertical bars all day but nothing happens!!
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Here is what I get.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Di 14 Jan 2020 01:45 Here is what I get.
Adjustment layer window is too small to show preview. Resize window.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

I only attached the image for reference. I have tried various sizes of windows.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks. I've figured it out. The window has to be wide enough to allow the 2 vertical lines to be dragged to the left. Thus being able to accommodate both the chart and the preview.

But It still not what I'm really trying to do.
I want to compress the blacks. On the left of the chart is 0%. On the right is 100%. So if I move the 0% arrow right the center arrow also moves to the right. (Yes I can drag the center arrow back). Thus affecting the whole image. ie I want to move the left arrow to 5% without affecting the whole image. Confusing? Here what I would like. I would like to be able to lock say the 10% point. Then adjust the left arrow from 0% to 5%. Thus only affecting the range from 0% to 10%. Not the whole image. Possible?
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Di 14 Jan 2020 06:18 I want to compress the blacks. On the left of the chart is 0%. On the right is 100%. So if I move the 0% arrow right the center arrow also moves to the right. (Yes I can drag the center arrow back).
I think you didn't understand the meanig of the middle arrow.
bruce1951 hat geschrieben: Di 14 Jan 2020 06:18Thus affecting the whole image. ie I want to move the left arrow to 5% without affecting the whole image. Confusing? Here what I would like. I would like to be able to lock say the 10% point. Then adjust the left arrow from 0% to 5%. Thus only affecting the range from 0% to 10%. Not the whole image. Possible?
not with histogramm. You have to use Curves for this.