PhotoLine, Ubuntu & Wine

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
pkr1979
Mitglied

PhotoLine, Ubuntu & Wine

Beitrag von pkr1979 »

Hi all,

I've been running PL on my macbook... but as I need more power+speed, and Im not that keen to pay what apple asks for their products Im getting a pc that I intend to run with Ubuntu. I've never used Wine so Im curious to know if there is anything I need to be aware of, and how I install PL on a Ubuntu run pc with Wine?

Cheers
Peter
russellcottrell
Mitglied
Re: PhotoLine, Ubuntu & Wine

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

After installing wine, run winecfg to make sure it is working; you can also set the windows version as it seems to matter with some programs.

For a straight PL installation, run
wine pl2200.exe [path and name of the installer]

You can make separate “wine bottles” which will be contained in their own folders, easy to delete when you are done with them, such as for beta versions. The default folder is ~/.wine; you can make a new one by running something like
env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_pl22.40b1 wine pl2200.exe [installation folder will be ~/.wine_pl22.40b1].

Everything works except scripting; there is no windows script host.
pkr1979
Mitglied

Beitrag von pkr1979 »

Thanks again Russell - I appreciate this.

Cheers
Peter
Tom Kershaw
Mitglied

Beitrag von Tom Kershaw »

Peter,

I'm interested in this question as well due to very similar reasons as yourself. I wonder if Russell or another experienced person has any experience with whether the ColorPerfect plug-in will work within a PhotoLine/Wine installation?

Tom
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Tom Kershaw hat geschrieben: Do 04 Jun 2020 17:40 I wonder if Russell or another experienced person has any experience with whether the ColorPerfect plug-in will work within a PhotoLine/Wine installation?
I am not a ColorPerfect expert, but I just loaded a raw file using PhotoLine 22.02 and ColorPerfect 2.25 on Linux Mint 19.1. But due to my limited knowledge of ColorPerfect, I don't know if everything works flawlessly.

If you know ColorPerfect better, maybe you could try it yourself and tell us.

Martin
Tom Kershaw
Mitglied

I checked and the ColorPerfect plug-in does appear to work without an issue.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

I was installing PL on a new hard drive and thought this might be useful. During installation, don't bother creating a desktop shortcut, it won't work in Linux. To create a menu or desktop launcher, use the following command:
wine "/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PhotoLine/PhotoLine.exe"
and the attached icon.

Here is the text of a desktop launcher:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/home/username/.icons/PhotoLine.png
Name=PhotoLine
Exec=wine "/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PhotoLine/PhotoLine.exe"

(Be sure to make it executable.)
Dateianhänge
PhotoLine.png
PhotoLine.png (6.49 KiB) 4080 mal betrachtet
Tom Kershaw
Mitglied

I now have PhotoLine running well under Pop OS / Wine (GNOME desktop environment)
maho
Mitglied

Beitrag von maho »

I'm also buying a Linux laptop, and looking to run PL under wine (probably with Xubuntu). For those of you who are taking this approach, how well does PL work under wine, on a scale 1-10? (10 = fully functional as on a Windows box, 1 = does run at all)?

Is there any degree to which the wine users are "supported" by the PL team?

And the final question: any chance of a native Linux build?
gmhofmann
Betatester

Beitrag von gmhofmann »

1. 8
2. No official support, but Computerinsel is testing PL under Linux/WINE
3. No
antoniob
Mitglied

Beitrag von antoniob »

Hello,
My first post on this forum.
I have used Unix since ever, currently Linux or FreeBSD for desktops.
I did just buy a Photoline key specifically for running ColorPerfect. It all runs flawlessly i have batch processed a hundred 6x6 colour negative scans these last two days and tweaked some, also worked with BW negatives. Everything works.

I didn’t knew of Photoline before, and I am impressed. Compact and snappy yet powerful. I guess a port to Linux should be easy but under Wine it feels 9/10 or 10/10 almost like running native.

Couple practical details:
remember to tweak the wine config for better fonts, it improves readability inside ColorPerfect.
on a correctly configured setting, desktop icon is created and works. Installation is a trivial wine64 pl22nn.exe.
only initial start can be slow but this is because the Wine machinery (wineserver) takes some time to boot up the emulated win environment.

I use a custom mix of Xfce and Openbox on Voidlinux, and the same on a recent FreeBSD.

Photoline has some so nice tools that i tend to use it instead of Gimp for more than just processing ColorPerfect.
Also the native colour inversion + levels equalization provides often reasonable to good enough positives from linearized 16-bit tiff of colours negatives done with flatbed or dedicated scanners ( i use Epson V700 and Reflecta 10T).
DSLR/mirrorless scans of negatives is a completely different affair though.
Antworten