Neue Testversion 22.40b2

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Neue Testversion 22.40b2

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Hallo,

es gibt wieder eine neue Testversion 22.40b2.

Windows:
http://www.pl32.com/beta/pl2240b2.zip

Mac OS:
http://www.pl32.com/beta/plx2240b2.zip

Neues:
  • Oberfläche überarbeitet: Tabs, Popups, Schieberegler, dockbare Dialoge
  • Bildübersicht: Wird ein Bild angeklickt und die Stichwortliste ist aktiv, werden die enthaltenen Stichwörter markiert
  • Bildübersicht: Ordner können im Explorer/Finder geöffnet werden
  • Diverse Fehlerbehebungen und kleinere Verbesserungen
shijan
Mitglied

Re: Neue Testversion 22.40b2

Beitrag von shijan »

I like flat Adjustment layer toolbar!
I don't like Adjustment layer toolbar with purple tint color.
I don't like new Firefox-like line indicators on tabs. Maybe on Windows they help somehow with tabs visibility, but on Mac they totally useless. Tabs on Mac are well visible as is. Tabs are so tiny and those additional blinking pixel line indicators on tabs only adds distracting and mess. Option in UI settings to turn those lines on/off may help.

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von shijan am Di 24 Mär 2020 23:19, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

So on Windows:
1. dialogs received deserved layout improvements, see e.g. Settings dialog below where labels are now much better aligned with controls - I am positive
2. panel tabs good blue highlight - I am pretty neutral here
3. we good new slider that is not looking like custom control, to be honest I prefer native look - I don't understand what improvement custom look brings here

Before:
PL2240b1_vs_b2_Win_before.png
PL2240b1_vs_b2_Win_before.png (57.82 KiB) 4869 mal betrachtet
After:
PL2240b1_vs_b2_Win_after.png
PL2240b1_vs_b2_Win_after.png (58.43 KiB) 4869 mal betrachtet
On Mac:
1. panel titlebars no longer have gradient - I have mixed feeling about this one because the gradient in pane titlebar there is still macOS correct and native look, see Shift+Cmd+I in finder, the gradient is still there
2. panel and some other tabs got light blue highlight - this IMHO looks horrible

Additionally some tabs like in color picker look very off with their weird thicker font as if text was rendered with some different software.
PL2240_macOS_b1_vs_b2_weird.png
PL2240_macOS_b1_vs_b2_weird.png (56.3 KiB) 4869 mal betrachtet
So my humble advice - please don't overdo the UI changes. Please don't make revolution and keep the UI look & feel platform (OS) native as possible as it used to be.

Uff... describing all of that with 100KB and 3 attachment limit is quite a challenge here :)
Zuletzt geändert von ono am Mi 25 Mär 2020 01:09, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com | CBCT/PET tomography engineer
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

shijan hat geschrieben: Di 24 Mär 2020 22:54I don't like new line indicators on tabs. (...)
Argh, I thought I'll be the first.. hahaha, but I got stuck trying to optimize images to fit into 100KB and 3 files limit :lol:
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

ono hat geschrieben: Di 24 Mär 2020 23:01 Finder Tool pane still have gradient
It is a native OS window toolbar. It never changed even in apps with customized themes.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

shijan hat geschrieben: Di 24 Mär 2020 23:29
ono hat geschrieben: Di 24 Mär 2020 23:01 Finder Tool pane still have gradient
It is a native OS window toolbar. It never changed even in apps with customized themes.
Not sure if I understand you. Yes you can have custom tool window title bars if you want on macOS. It is technically possible, but rarely used. The apps with custom themes you refer use I believe their own UI library (widgets) and render only window contents on their own, but not alter look of title bars of their windows, that remain rendered by the system.

PL so far was either using native macOS controls or (when using own rendering) tried to follow native look and feel, with latest changes it is becoming less native. Personally I don’t like this direction. The awarded and most recognized macOS apps not only follow Apple Human Interface Guidelines by using native L&F (unless given control does not exist in the system) but also provide intuitive layout and functionality.

To me fiddling with the look of the controls on macOS is a slippery slope since you need to come up with a new stylistically consistent and ergonomically efficient design that have to have advantage over what platform can provide.

If PL authors want to go this route then fine, but it would be much better if they provided some sort of a draft of a new design showing the intentions rather than a build with some of the controls redesigned and others not, without further hint if this is just beginning of something new or just isolated change. I know there are good intentions behind though.
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

The new rounded slider control are great, it soften the UI a lot. Great work.
Now the gradient in the dropdown menus are gone, excellent.
The new panel snapping at the bottom of the window so they don't overflow it is amazing.

The orange active tab indicator is a no for me, it adds again unnecessary visual noise. If some users likes it then it can be optional in the User Interface Option.

There is still a little bit of visual noise so I have a few small suggestions:

1- The extra lighter lines that frames the tab can be taken off. In this way less contrast objects in the panels element are reduced. Therefore, less visual noise.
2- The Panel bar should be the same color as the inactive tabs, by doing this, the visual noise will be reduced greatly. The advantage of this, is that no matter if the user choose Light or Dark theme, the bar adapts automatically to the inactive tab color.
3- In my personal case I got rid of the new color line over the active tab.
Dark.jpg
Dark.jpg (13.93 KiB) 4829 mal betrachtet
Light.jpg
Light.jpg (13.92 KiB) 4829 mal betrachtet
Cheers,
Juan
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

There is a German wording over the Guides Panel:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.17 KiB) 4829 mal betrachtet

When using File-->Export, I get this weird dialog:
Export.JPG
Export.JPG (22.67 KiB) 4829 mal betrachtet
ono
Mitglied

Beitrag von ono »

Juan hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 08:39The new panel snapping at the bottom of the window so they don't overflow it is amazing
Oh wow. Did not realize that this change was already introduced in Beta 1 without explicit announcement (collapsing/extending pane) keeps the bottom of the bottom pane snapped. In Beta 2 it was extended so resizing panes above also keeps the bottom pane snapping. Great work!
However that if I resize window then the bottom pane bottom snapping in not maintained, that would be nice addition too.
Juan hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 08:39 The new rounded slider control are great, it soften the UI a lot. Great work.
I agree that new slider looks more attractive and also looks more like macOS slider. Still I would really love to know plans of the authors if there are other controls that are going to be customized, e.g. buttons, combos, are this going to happen only for Windows or macOS too, and if there's still intention to remain close to platform native L&F.

Nevertheless I want to praise again great work on improving layout of the controls, i.e. text baseline alignment, that makes PL UI look more professional now, see:

Beta 1 (before)
PL2240b2_ColorEditor_b1.png
PL2240b2_ColorEditor_b1.png (110.7 KiB) 4797 mal betrachtet
Beta 2 (after]
PL2240b2_ColorEditor_b2.png
PL2240b2_ColorEditor_b2.png (110.28 KiB) 4797 mal betrachtet
Juan
Mitglied

Beitrag von Juan »

ono hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 14:27 However that if I resize window then the bottom pane bottom snapping in not maintained, that would be nice addition too.
You are right, there are few issues. I will try to record a video.
ono hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 14:27 Nevertheless I want to praise again great work on improving layout of the controls, i.e. text baseline alignment, that makes PL UI look more professional now
Couldn't agree more.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

I agree that UI should be done globally, but not as a random redesigned elements. Usually designer draw a sketch of final UI, all changes in sketch discussed with team, and then developers code UI real life.
But it is a beta version and i guess everything is possible. Also don't have coding skills, so i have no idea how custom UI usually connected to application.

P.S. Don't you have a feeling that new black round sliders on Windows are too small compare to text fields and other elements? Or is it due some custom resized Windows UI on hi dpi display?
On Mac elements size relations looks more balanced:
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.10.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 4.10.06 PM.jpg (26.73 KiB) 4779 mal betrachtet
Andre
Mitglied

Beitrag von Andre »

Hallo,

wenn jetzt am UI gearbeitet witd, hätte ich auch noch eine Kleinigkeit. Wird die Fenstergröße verändert, werden bei meiner Dialoganordnung die Icons für die Ebenenauswahl verdeckt.
bild1.jpg
bild1.jpg (41.24 KiB) 4768 mal betrachtet
Ziehe ich dann das Fenster wieder groß um an die Bedienelemente zu kommen, bleiben Artefakte der Icon auf dem Bildschirm stehen
bild2.jpg
bild2.jpg (17.23 KiB) 4768 mal betrachtet
Lässt sich das ändern? Am Besten wäre es, wenn die Bedienelemente nicht vom Hauptfenster verdeckt würden.
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Tabs can now be clicked to both open AND collapse them again. Great work. It's these little things that really add polish. Thanks!

With the dark tints used to indicate the main selected layer, some of the layer icons on the right become obscured and can hardly be seen.
I still think a blue tint to highlight selected layers would work better, and is more in line with "industry" standard expectations.
layer_symbols.png
layer_symbols.png (9.79 KiB) 4742 mal betrachtet
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Herbert123
Mitglied

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Juan hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 15:46
ono hat geschrieben: Mi 25 Mär 2020 14:27 Nevertheless I want to praise again great work on improving layout of the controls, i.e. text baseline alignment, that makes PL UI look more professional now
Couldn't agree more.
+1 Small changes, yet big impact on the overall GUI look and feel. Well done so far.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 920@3.6Ghz, p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

shijan hat geschrieben: Di 24 Mär 2020 22:54 (...)
I don't like Adjustment layer toolbar with purple tint color.
The color has to be distinguishable from the normal titlebar. What color/brightness value do you propose?

Martin
Antworten