Changing linked file for placeholders.

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
freeqstyler
Mitglied

Changing linked file for placeholders.

Post by freeqstyler » Wed 22 Jul 2020 23:02

Hello,

in the previous versions of Photoline I could double click the file field in a placeholder layer to change the linked file. Since version 22, while the file still can be changed this way, I don't see any way to keep it linked, it automatically becomes embedded. I specifically don't want to create a new placeholder layer to link new file as it would require me to copy all the adjustments from the old layer to the new one - I know it can be done with a few clicks but when i have to process multiple files with multiple placeholders it becomes a serious annoyance.

Is it an intended change or a bug? If the former, is there a way/shortcut to make it behave as in the older versions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Changing linked file for placeholders.

Post by Martin Huber » Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:35

freeqstyler wrote:
Wed 22 Jul 2020 23:02
Is it an intended change or a bug?
No, this isn't the indended behaviour. I will fix that.

Currently, the easiest way to reassign a link is dragging a file from Explorer/Finder/Browser window to the placeholder layer while holding the link keys (Alt on Windows, Cmd+Alt on macOS).

Martin

freeqstyler
Mitglied

Post by freeqstyler » Fri 24 Jul 2020 14:26

Thank you for the information, in that case I'm looking forward to the fix.

shijan
Mitglied

Post by shijan » Fri 24 Jul 2020 21:58

Martin Huber wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:35
freeqstyler wrote:
Wed 22 Jul 2020 23:02
Is it an intended change or a bug?
No, this isn't the indended behaviour. I will fix that.

Currently, the easiest way to reassign a link is dragging a file from Explorer/Finder/Browser window to the placeholder layer while holding the link keys (Alt on Windows, Cmd+Alt on macOS).

Martin
Nice to hear that it is a bug. I also notice this confusion, but because i am only start to learn placeholders, i decide that it is some sort of unknown special option.
Also i notice that if i duplicate Placeholder layer that contains external linked file, it is no more use external file, but copy file internally inside document. As a result - increased document size on save.
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302

Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Post by Martin Huber » Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:40

shijan wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 21:58
Also i notice that if i duplicate Placeholder layer that contains external linked file, it is no more use external file, but copy file internally inside document. As a result - increased document size on save.
I can't reproduce that here.

With "duplicate" you mean the menu command "Layer > Management > Duplicate Layer" (or its equivalents like the duplicate icon at the bottom of the Layer List)?

Do you have more information to reproduce the problem?

Martin

shijan
Mitglied

Post by shijan » Mon 27 Jul 2020 00:43

I just checked and i also can't reproduce problem anymore. It could be my mistake, but i remember for sure that i was able to reproduce problem earlier with same test file (duplicate Placeholder layer -> save document -> PLD file size became same as original image). I guess it was 22.40b8. It also could be already fixed somehow in new beta, i use 22.40b9u now. Seems Placeholders may produce a lot of random surprises, so i decide to stay within normal PLD file workflow yet.

Here is another bug:
Sometimes color management don't works with Placeholders:
- Open sRGB image as Placeholder.
- Set sRGB profile to Document
- Set some wrong profile (ProPhotoRGB for example) to layer
- no visual changes

In normal situation it should look like this:
- Open sRGB image as Placeholder.
- switch to Document Mode
- Set sRGB profile to Document
- Set some wrong profile (ProPhotoRGB for example) to layer
- changes in saturation and gamma
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302