Mac in app help

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
Antworten
Alan9940
Mitglied

Mac in app help

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Though I've used PL on Windows for years, I recently got a MacBook Air and downloaded the trial. It isn't real clear to me how to properly install the app, but I put the entire folder into my boot volume Applications folder. The app runs fine, but the in app help doesn't display. I can search for topics, but when I double-click to view the help nothing happens. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Re: Mac in app help

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Alan9940 hat geschrieben: Mo 20 Sep 2021 23:33 Though I've used PL on Windows for years, I recently got a MacBook Air and downloaded the trial. It isn't real clear to me how to properly install the app, but I put the entire folder into my boot volume Applications folder.
There is no install program on macOS. You just copy the app to the location you want it to be, usually "/Applications".
Alan9940 hat geschrieben: Mo 20 Sep 2021 23:33 The app runs fine, but the in app help doesn't display. I can search for topics, but when I double-click to view the help nothing happens. Any ideas?
Strange. There are 3 types of help:
- the context help ("Help > Context Help", shortcut Cmd+?): After activating it you can click an user interface element and get the corresponding help.
- the search field in the "Help" menu: You type something. Directly beneath the search field you will get appropriate menu commands, and below them the help entries. Single-clicking one of the help entries shows the corresponding help entry.
- with "Help > PhotoLine Help" the help window is displayed: Now you can search by entering search terms in the Help window. Single-clicking one of the results shows that help.

All three of them work fine here.

How are you searching?

Martin
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

Regarding the install,

After the download of the trial, I have a PhotoLine folder in my downloads area. Inside that folder is the PhotoLine executable application itself and other stuff--Readme.txt, Samples folder, Scripting folder, etc. Based on the above, it sounds like I only need the PL executable in my /Application folder. What are the remaining items in the PhotoLine folder for?

Regarding the in app Help,

I had an entire reply typed out here describing what I was seeing from a three help methods, but when trying things to provide more detail it all of a sudden starting working, as expected. Briefly, and very confusing, the context help displayed a totally blank popup (labeled macOS Help?), the Help search display a popup informing me that no info was available (again, labeled macOS Help?), and Help>PhotoLine appeared to be working.

I will continue on using the in app help and report here, if I see unexpected things happening. I would, however, appreciate a definitive answer on my install question.

Thank you.
der_fotograf
Mitglied

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

What are the remaining items in the PhotoLine folder for?
If you are still learning PL, just ignore them. I'm working for more than a decade with PL and never used the extra files.

Just drag the PL executable into your Applications folder and start enjoying PL.

Do you have this start window for the Help?
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 21.38.06.png
Screenshot 2021-09-21 at 21.38.06.png (92.53 KiB) 777 mal betrachtet
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
Alan9940
Mitglied

Beitrag von Alan9940 »

der_fotograf hat geschrieben: Di 21 Sep 2021 21:39 Do you have this start window for the Help?
I didn't see that screen, yesterday, immediately after downloading the trial, but for some odd reason it's working fine today. Thank you for the screenshot verifying that what I'm seeing now is correct.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

Alan9940 hat geschrieben: Di 21 Sep 2021 23:17 I didn't see that screen, yesterday, immediately after downloading the trial, but for some odd reason it's working fine today.
To try the online help, I switched from German (which I normally use) to English, and it took a while for macOS to catch up with the switch. At first it showed no results, after a while it worked. But it was more a matter of minutes than hours.

Martin
Antworten