Transparency question

Here everybody can post his problems with PhotoLine
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Transparency question

Beitrag von MikeFromMesa »

Is there any way to create a transparent area using a brush tool? The Erase tool just gives me a white brush stroke while what I want to do is expose part of the underlying layer in the image.

The only tools that I have found to create transparent sections of an image are the Currency To Transparency dialog box and the Auto Transparency tool. The first targets a specific color range while I need to cover multiple colors and the second covers an image wide area while I need a small confined area. I thought that there might be some way in the Tool Settings to use the Erase Brush to create a transparency but I have not been able to do that.

An example of what I am trying to do would be to take an over-sharpened image with it's halo areas around different colored edges and remove those halos by making the edges transparent and using an unsharpened image as the underlying layer. Erasing both sides of a halo-ed edge would then show the unhalo-ed edge from the unsharpened image. I have tried to do this using a selection and then trying to make the entire selection transparent using the Auto Transparency Tool but that has had less than satisfactory results.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Re: Transparency question

Beitrag von russellcottrell »

On the layer in question, you will only get transparency if the Transparency box is checked in the layer properties. Otherwise you get the background color.
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Yes. I see that now.

Thank you. That solves my problem.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Probably every new PhotoLine user confused with "Transparency don't works" problem at first time :)
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

> Probably every new PhotoLine user confused with "Transparency don't works" problem at first time :)

The one thing that is becoming clear to me is that all of those things that I thought might be missing in PhotoLine are there. I just have not figured out how to use it properly. :)

So far there has been nothing that I have wanted to do that I could not do once I knew HOW to do it. At times it is a bit embarrassing, but all the process of learning.
shijan
Mitglied

Beitrag von shijan »

Yes, a lot of options are packed inside menus or partially hidden. This makes UI more clean but require some learning background.
Just make sure you always keep visible Tool Settings, Document and Layer Attributes panels. A lot of things linked to those panels. For example Vector Distort effects appears in Layer Attributes, so you can turn them on/off and change order if multiple distort effects applied.
Bild
PhotoLine UI Icons Customization Project: https://www.pl32.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6302
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

Thank you for the information. Every extra piece of information helps.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Just a short question. What triggers the transparency? I always convert NEF files to 16 bit tiffs. In Nikons own software. Then open them in PL. Some files have the transparency ticked and some don't. Is there a simple reason why the inconsistency? What am I doing? Or not doing?
MikeFromMesa
Mitglied

I am interested in that as well as sometimes I see the transparency checked and sometimes not. In my case I am using an Olympus E-M5 Mk III.
Martin Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Martin Huber »

There is only transparency if the loaded file specifies that an image has transparency, but I find it odd that a raw converter would produce transparency.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Martin without doing some testing it may be a result of sending some tiffs through Photomatix before opening in PL. I've never really given it much thought because it was just so easy to tick the box. I'll get back to on what I find.

thanks
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

OK a quick observation. Sorry time is against me at the moment.

NEF through Nikon's NX-D. (Bracket of 3 NEF's). Open the resulting 16 bit tiff in PL. Transparency not ticked.
Open Photomatix and merge the 3 tiffs. Save. Open the saved 16 bit merged file in PL. Transparency not ticked.
Now as soon as I Duplicate layer transparency becomes ticked. Is that how it should work? Why now transparency?

thanks.
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Duplicating a layer creates a transparency channel, because it's useless to have a non transparent layer above another layer.
bruce1951
Mitglied

Beitrag von bruce1951 »

Thanks. Makes sense.