Poster function: printer's marks

Hier diskutieren die Betatester von PhotoLine untereinander und mit den Entwicklern
Benutzeravatar
Herbert123
Mitglied
Beiträge: 2455
Registriert: Sa 12 Mai 2012 21:38

Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

I am unsure if this is a bug, or not. Could someone test this file for me?

I'd like to print this A0 poster to A4 format and define printer's marks for each page. But when I use the poster function and turn on printer's marks, and print to a PDF no marks are added.
2025-02-12 20_55_01-#1.png
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Benutzeravatar
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler
Beiträge: 4278
Registriert: Mo 18 Nov 2002 15:30
Wohnort: Bad Gögging

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Do 13 Feb 2025 06:55 I'd like to print this A0 poster to A4 format and define printer's marks for each page. But when I use the poster function and turn on printer's marks, and print to a PDF no marks are added.
There are several questions from my side:
- Why do you want to print "Print Markers"? In the past, this was done because the printing technology sometimes demanded it. Today, no print shop will ask you to do that.
- What do you expect to get? Do you want markers on every page or on the corner of the A0 document?
Benutzeravatar
Herbert123
Mitglied
Beiträge: 2455
Registriert: Sa 12 Mai 2012 21:38

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Gerhard Huber hat geschrieben: Do 13 Feb 2025 12:09
Herbert123 hat geschrieben: Do 13 Feb 2025 06:55 I'd like to print this A0 poster to A4 format and define printer's marks for each page. But when I use the poster function and turn on printer's marks, and print to a PDF no marks are added.
There are several questions from my side:
- Why do you want to print "Print Markers"? In the past, this was done because the printing technology sometimes demanded it. Today, no print shop will ask you to do that.
- What do you expect to get? Do you want markers on every page or on the corner of the A0 document?
At the very least the crop/cutting marks should be printed, otherwise it becomes very difficult to cut out each part.

I am printing a poster on my desktop printer. The pages are printed without crop marks. Sometimes this isn't a problem, because parts of the poster have content on all sides. Simple to cut along the side(s).

But other parts of the poster have white parts and only have content clipped on one side or two sides. The white prevents easy trimming/cutting of these. It become trial and error unless I start measuring and comparing, which takes a LONG time to do properly. If those crop marks are printed it is a simple task: use a ruler and knife (or cutter) and trim. Easy!

Things are made more complex by desktop printers having a margin where they cannot print. White parts touching the margins make things messy without crop marks.

Anyway, crop marks would be great to have on all printed pages on all sides. Even if I have to scale down the print for each page to accommodate the crop marks, it will be easy to trim off the page edges and fit the entire poster together.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
Benutzeravatar
Gerhard Huber
Entwickler
Entwickler
Beiträge: 4278
Registriert: Mo 18 Nov 2002 15:30
Wohnort: Bad Gögging

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Gerhard Huber »

In poster mode, PhotoLine outputs an overlap area of 1 cm.
When I use this, I cut off the edge of the image on both sheets. Then I apply glue to the second image (maximum 1 cm) and slide the two images on top of each other until they fit.
I wouldn't know how to optimize this procedure with “cutting marks”.
Benutzeravatar
der_fotograf
Mitglied
Beiträge: 672
Registriert: Mo 05 Dez 2016 08:33
Wohnort: North Germany

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von der_fotograf »

I wouldn't know how to optimize this procedure with “cutting marks”.
There is absolutely no need for another cutting mark preset for overlapping sheets. Anybody can add his own marks at any location if he wants or needs to. This is the standard procedure we are using for many years now in large format printing. However, we do not use cutting marks, but target marks similar to this one:

target.png

Don't try to make it more complicated than necessary.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]
Benutzeravatar
Herbert123
Mitglied
Beiträge: 2455
Registriert: Sa 12 Mai 2012 21:38

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

Well, I've done these before in other design apps.

For example, in InDesign it's simple to add crop marks (sorry, I mistakenly used the word "cutting marks" before) to accomplish this. In InDesign the overlap can also be set. Here is the result:
.
2025-02-19 01_07_02-#1.png
I had been working on a poster design in PhotoLine that I want to print on my desktop printer.

Just seems like a basic option to have, and manually adding cropping marks is something I did back in the last century.* Why make it harder than it needs to be? We have computers to automate this for us.

*Actually, that is not quite true. Last year I worked on a VERY large format print in PhotoLine. And the printer marks kept bugging out on me, and were unreliable (because they would be set not per document, but for the entire app, if I recall correctly. So I was forced to manually add crop marks for printing on a large format printer at a printer.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait
PPaul
Mitglied
Beiträge: 37
Registriert: Di 28 Jun 2022 17:37

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von PPaul »

In these cases I used to set up the posterprint, printed the document to pdf, imported this pdf in PL, reduced the page format to A4 minus 1 cm (centred) added cutmarks, exported it again as PDF and printed this on A4 paper. It sounds complicated but in reality just a few mouseclicks.
- Paul
Benutzeravatar
Herbert123
Mitglied
Beiträge: 2455
Registriert: Sa 12 Mai 2012 21:38

Re: Poster function: printer's marks

Beitrag von Herbert123 »

PPaul hat geschrieben: Mi 19 Feb 2025 13:45 In these cases I used to set up the posterprint, printed the document to pdf, imported this pdf in PL, reduced the page format to A4 minus 1 cm (centred) added cutmarks, exported it again as PDF and printed this on A4 paper. It sounds complicated but in reality just a few mouseclicks.
- Paul
Yes, that will work as a work-around. :)

As I mentioned earlier, I've done this myself in the past. I do wonder, though, what the use is of a poster function when we can just as well cut up the entire poster manually then? Crop marks are a basic and expected feature in these situations.

That said, based on the responses so far it seems that there isn't a lot of support for this feature to be implemented, so all good. I can do this job in InDesign: import the PDF, then use its poster function.
/*---------------------------------------------*/
System: Win10 64bit - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb (6x8gb RipjawsX), Nvidia GTX1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820, 2XSamsung SA850 (2560*1440) and 1XHP2408H 1920*1200 portrait