Unfortunately, I don't think we actually can access these directly in PhotoLine. I've asked for extended OpenType support years and years ago, but it was never implemented.Vivi_Ram hat geschrieben: Fr 12 Dez 2025 13:52 @Gerhard: Quick question. How do I get Open Type features in PL on Windows? Thank you! I want to use contextual alternates for character combinations of Th, ff, fi, and so on. The font I am trying to use is the the famous free Junicode font for medievalist scholars.![]()
Nor is it possible to open a type glyphs panel that lists all the characters --preferably grouped and categorized according to type categories such as different contextual alternates and such-- which I and a few others here asked for to be added to PhotoLine, but that wasn't implemented either. Instead we have to use the Edit Text Shortcuts to deal with some of these type setting challenges. Or an external tool (which I do). I find the Edit Text Shortcuts to be woefully ill-equipped for this work. Again: fine for the average user who doesn't care or think about fine typography design. Not great for professional design purposes.
The way PhotoLine treats font names and sets is also very confusing. Take the Junicode font, for example: it should be listed as one font family, but instead we are treated to a list of 7 or 8 separate entries in the font list dropdowns.
To date it seems variable fonts and colour SVG fonts aren't supported either. No tracking - only kerning. No option to search and(!) filter in the font dialogs.
Type setting in PhotoLine can be a quite frustrating experience. I love everything else about PhotoLine, but this particular part really is in dire need of improvement. I suppose it is good enough for the average user. Not for me or anyone else invested in quality typography and type setting.
I have learned to live with it, but if I need to do high-end type setting I open InDesign or --more and more nowadays-- VectorStyler. VectorStyler offers nice typographical features that are up to date. Then I export as vector for import into PhotoLine. Not ideal, but at least I save time doing my type setting.
I wish we had something like this in PhotoLine (This is VectorStyler, btw).
P.S.: VectorStyler is an perfect companion to PhotoLine for more refined typography and type setting. It even has a text tool to transform individual characters within a paragraph of text! And the text remains text!
Also, I need to typeset Japanese, and VectorStyler has really nice East-Asian type setting. Can't even do this in InDesign - I would need the Japanese version for that, I believe.
