Re: Video series

Post by laienspieler »

You are my hero!
russellcottrell
Mitglied

Post by russellcottrell »

cape.png

PhotoLine’s unsharp masking size parameter is different from the radius that other programs use. Here are some actual measurements:
http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/Ph ... SMSize.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russellcottrell
Mitglied

PhotoLine Techniques: sharpening, noise reduction, spotting, resizing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9ezdXnLs0-
bruce1951
Mitglied

Post by bruce1951 »

Thanks Russell. The sharpening video was more than helpful. Well done.
gerryW
Mitglied

Post by gerryW »

Really very helpful info on sharpening. Thanks for the Videos! :)

One question remains: first sharpen and then denoise? Or the other way around? Or does it not matter? :?
Hoogo
Betatester

Post by Hoogo »

There was a thread about sharpening lately.
My general recipe has a slightly different order and is using the difference preview. I'm not that good in adjusting things by look and taste and prefer that obvios hint from that special preview.

Some wishes for your 3rd video on that topic : ;)
- Difference view
- Masking of halos with a black brush in the 2 layers
- Compare sharpening in RGB to L

Once it made a difference if you were sharpening a Lab layer or an RGB layer in Lab!
First kept color in halos, 2nd turned to white. But I didn't check now if it still applies.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
Hoogo
Betatester

Post by Hoogo »

gerryW wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 13:57One question remains: first sharpen and then denoise? Or the other way around? Or does it not matter? :?
I think: At the beginning you try to create the best "input signal"

In theory: The steps should follow the physical process that created the problems, just in opposite direction.

- The lens adds some softness. Final step would be deconvolution, but sharpening as final step is also fine.
- Then the sensor adds some noise. So denoising should be done before sharpening.

After that, software adds some more:
- Demosaicing technically adds noise, meaning more changes to the original signal. But depending on the algorithm it looks smoother.
- Converting color spaces adds some crosstalk to the channels.

If you have RAW, you can try some different demosaicing algorithms in the layer attributes, maybe move the channel mixer somewhere else. But with a Jpg you can't "undo" these 2 software steps.

In practice: So it's not really possible to do each step perfect, but denoise and then sharpen would be more logical. Sharpen increases noise, and the denoise-filter has a kind of edge detection, so it should be better to apply it to the more original edges.
----------------
Herr Doktor, ich bin mir ganz sicher, ich habe Atom! /Doctor, doctor, I'm sure, I've got atoms!
russellcottrell
Mitglied

One question remains: first sharpen and then denoise? Or the other way around? Or does it not matter?
As a practical matter, I capture sharpen, then denoise if necessary, because sharpening makes the noise pop out and I can then see what noise to remove. Speaking for myself, it is much harder to assess noise reduction if the image has not been sharpened first. Reversing the order of the layers makes sense, the noise is actually less, but the image is also less sharp, and turning up the sharpening to compensate makes the noise come back; to my eye there is little practical difference.

Of course, we are actually talking about a three-pass workflow: capture sharpening, noise reduction, then output sharpening, so the final and more aggressive sharpening is always after noise reduction.

Also, I never use the difference view; I would rather use the eyeball to toggle the effect on the entire image.
Masking of halos with a black brush in the 2 layers
If it is possible to mask the halos with a brush, they are way too big!